Concrete shed floor resurfacing.

Started by jazig.k, May 14, 2014, 11:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazig.k

Hi guys,

I'm currently 6 to 8 weeks off moving into our new built home, so I'm told by the site supervisor. The property already had a shed on it, 10mx13m, ex-stables, pretty much 3x3m bays. I'm going to remove all internal, non structural walls and posts. It needs a bit or work to bring up to scratch but it's only temporary, until I pull it down for a real shed [Bigger with 4m walls for hoist], one day.

The floor is crap. Concrete poured in after the build, smoothed out with a rake and maybe stomped on to take the highs off it. From bay to bay is usually different. It's not flat. It has no rio.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any suggestions to temporarily level the concrete that doesn't involve jackhammering and a re pour? If it chips or doesn't last that's fine, I'll only be asking for a few years. I only really plan to level the front third of it, maybe half.

I was thinking a concrete topping made with fibreglass strands to help reduce chipping/cracking? 

David Mills

I recycled an old piggery with a similar floor by using ready mix concrete with chopped glass fibres incorporated.  Minimum thickness was 50mm  A few years down the track I have some some hairline cracking due to movements in the base but I consider it a ver good outcome.

jazig.k

Great! Do you know how much glass you put in the mix? Ratio? Or was the ready mix already filled with fibres?

Edit:
Not to worry, I Googled 'ready mix Bunnings'. Found this http://www.bunnings.co.nz/cemix-no-steel-concrete-25kg_p00550450
Looks like similar stuff that you were talking about?
One bag covers an area of 1,000 x 300mm at 40mm thick.

MD

jazig.k

You don't say what you are going to use the floor for?
A couple of unorthodox approaches that may or may not suit:-

Asphalt mix. Sweep bays clean, pour in the mix and roll for a flat surface. It will even out the irregularities.
The other option is granulated recycled rubber mix that sets like asphalt but is not as hard.
Both easier to remove later when required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPazEqqCKQ
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

jazig.k

Will use the shed like any other Alfa shed. Metal work, mechanical work, wood work, day dreaming, trying to find a persistent electrical problem...

We did ask someone we know, sort of, who does asphalting to quote our driveway. I never realized but he quoted as if I would prep everything. 60m2 at 40mm thick was $3,000. Sounds pretty rich to me, but he was the only asphalt guy to get back to me out of maybe 4 or 5?

Off topic - Building a house, I'm surprised how many people arrange times to meet for quotes and never show up. Or the most common, measure up and never get back with quotes even after phone calls to 'remind' people.
I've tried gathering quotes for concrete [driveway, portico and alfresco 110m2], fencing [140m] and a retaining wall [35m, 1m high]. I honestly think out of the 30+ people I have contacted, I would have 4 quotes back.