2000 GTV instrument issues

Started by Dan H, May 02, 2014, 10:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan H

Hi folks

A friend has a GTV 2000 and has been having issues with both his fuel and temperature gauge.

The fuel gauge has stopped working altogether (he's fitted a new sender unit so its not that end) and the temp gauge shows hot the whole time.

I havent pulled the instrument cluster off a GTV 2000 before, but does it have a rudimentary board or are the temp and fuel wired up the normal way?  I dont think the issue is likely to be with the instruments so I'm thinking its most likely a wiring issue.  Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated (I'm pretty sure he has checked all the earths too).

cheers
Dan

Gary Pearce

Those two instruments are very easy to test. With the key on and the sender wire earthed, the respective gauges should go to full deflection.
If they do, its the senders that is the problem. The white lead in the boot is just the low fuel light.
If not check your ignition fuses.
Next step:
The dash is very easy to remove once you have manipulated the tacho and speedo cable off. Yes the instruments all work off a printed circuit board and if you have an earthing problem it is usually evident by having dim illumination behind the gauges. Don't forget the two big muti-plugs (that are colour-coded so you cant mix them up) and with a little 6mm spanner you may be able to tighten electrical connections on the back of each of the gauges.
Those two gauges have a common power connection, although the fuel gauge has a resistor behind it to slow down the flicker of the gauge. Good luck.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Dan H

Thanks Gary

I'll report back on how it goes.

cheers
Dan