159 wont start

Started by peter bohan, June 09, 2014, 09:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter bohan

hello every one this is my first message, bought a 159 q4 3.2  6 months ago 07 model red in great condition 102k, never knew anything about alphas before and my son who is a mercedes tech wasnt real pleased,must say i have fallen in love with this car, however i went to  start it yesterday and it wouldnt fire , battery seems fine,never had any issues with it before, a low engine oil message was coming up even though the dip stick showed there was plenty of oil i topped it up just in case but it still wont fire today. please anyone have any ideas, seems to be no alpha mechanics in around Orange nsw  to call .

colcol

Have it towed to an Alfa Romeo Service provider in N.S.W., make sure they have all the scanning tools for Alfa Romeo, so they can scan it and find the problem, don't take it to a non Alfa Romeo service provider, as they won't have a clue, have a look on the N.S.W. Alfa Romeo owners club website for Service providers, and hopefully some club members can point Peter in the right direction.
Join the N.S.W. division of the Alfa Romeo club to find out where and who is a good place to go and get fully addicted to the Marque, like most of us, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

peter bohan

thanks colcol, the EOBD warning light stays on , have reset all fuel buttons, may have to have it towed, nearest dealer is dubbo and not sure of their reputation, also 2 hours away .

peter bohan

PROBLEM SOLVED
THE WIFE HOPED IN AND IT STARTED FIRST CRANCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  however i did read on a forum last night that if you open the fuse box in the cabin near the drivers right knee there will be a wire that comes from the fuel pump that needs a check, didn't know which one it was  so pushed all the ones that looked right, must have done the trick , if any one can pinpoint what wire it is or what it looks like please let me know as i can put some contact cleaner on the connection , save it happening again , cheers from one relieved 159 owner , love that car.

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cool Jesus

Peter, don't wish to be any voice of gloom or doom, but Alfa problems (in fact any vehicle) aren't normally solved in that manner. Glad it started up for you. If it was a fuel pump issue, the engine would still have cranked over. The low oil? My 2.2 159 had a oil level sensor issue which was replaced on warranty, just keep an eye on the dip stick. If anything the low oil may gvie the ecu some false readings which may affect drivability later on. Pouunds to peanuts, my guess is your battery may have been a little low or is on the way out? How old is the battery? These modern electronics really suck the juice and need a large capacity source to feed off. My 159 was less than 2 yr old when it left me dead in the space of just 30 mins... If replacing it, get the largest capacity that will fit in the space.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

peter bohan

thanks , I should have mentioed that it was cranking ok, i put 1litre of oil in and the graph came up to 3/4s im hoping that its all ok  cheers pete.