Alfa 1750 steering wheels

Started by Binga1, June 10, 2014, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binga1

I need a 1750 gtv series 1 steering wheel but would like to know the difference between a series1 and 2 wheels if any? Can anyone shed light on the differences if any

ItalCarGuy

Its mainly in the horn button. Black plastic for S1 and real timber for S2. I do have a faint recollection that there was a very subtle difference in the bend of the spokes where they meet the rim.

Barry Edmunds

Derek, I have a black-rim steering wheel with the horn buttons in the slots in the spokes. In very good condition but I'm not sure which model/s this SW was on. I have seen this wheel on Supers and some coupes. Has an equally good centre with it. Any clues???
Barry

ItalCarGuy

I should correct my earlier post. I mean to say the centre piece is either black plastic or wood as the horn  buttons are in the spokes on the 1750 sorry! Bad description by me.  :-[

Barry, the horn buttons in the spoke slots with a black rim could be Super, 1600 GT Veloce or Duetto! I think there is a difference in the depth of the dish between these but can't remember which is which. GT Veloce has the gold badge in the middle, duetto was silver, Super (circa 67-68ish) was gold like GT Veloce. (Junior had the silver badge but was only 2 spoke)

Craig_m67

Early cars (duetto) has the shallow dished wheel.
Goes with the longer steering column.

I've a later perfect wooden wheel I can't fit to my car if anybody needs it
I bought it as it was shiny and lovely... Can't help myself sometimes :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ItalCarGuy

Just need to correct myself where I said the Duetto has the silver badge. It was gold according to the pics in this thread. Same as the GT Veloce wheel.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/323417-nos-steering-wheel-spider-1600-first-series.html

alfafarm

Hi    I have a number of wheels deep and shallow wood/plastic centers that I have restored if anyone needs to compare   john