Extractor/header issues

Started by DHDamo, June 21, 2014, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHDamo

Hi all, after some advice. Previous owner of my gtv had the pace extractors repaired - apparently something struck them from underneath the car (pipe has been re-welded to mounting/gasket part). The issue I have is that the part of the gasket face on cyl 1 pipe seems to be warped - and is letting gas out between the head and pipe.When I received the car, these gaskets were supplemented with some kinda orange silasticky type stuff. This eventually broke away and exposed the leak. I bought new gaskets, nuts and washers and cleaned gasket faces meticulously - leak is still there (and the gap visible to the eye). My questions are:
Is there some sort of gasket goop that will 'fill' this gap and maintain the seal?
Will i just have to file/repair the gasket face on the pipe (if so are there any issues to look out for - other than the obvious ones)?
Is there another idea that I haven't considered (short of buying new pipes)?
Cheers in advance.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

colcol

The extractors have been hit and have moved the pipe away from the cylinder head, so no matter how hard you do up the manifold nuts or put gasket goop on, it isn't isn't going to seal.
I would take it to a exhaust place and discuss it with them, as i am sure it happens to others.
If it was me, i would remove the gaskets on all four pipes, put the extractor back on, and do up the nuts tight, without stripping them, do it up to about 25 pounds,  then i would heat up the damaged part of the pipe, where it got struck, with an oxygen - acetelene plant and see if, doing up the nuts on the damaged pipe will pull it back into shape.
If this pulls the pipe flange back into shape, remove the extractor, clean up the mounting faces on the pipe and the cylinder head, put new gaskets on, and see if it seals ok.
From my experience, you usually don't use gasket cement on the exhaust manifolds or pipes as they get too hot and it usually melts the sealant, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DHDamo

Thanks Colin. The 'gap' is pretty much in between the 2 studs - would it be unlikely to pull back into shape? Would the area around the stud would be pulled tight and the gap would remain as theres nothing 'pulling' it back? I also don't have an oxy. Would removing material off the face be feasible - some draw filing etc, I figured the sealant thing would be a pipe dream? The face appears to be slightly concave if that helps explain it.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

colcol

Ok, i thought that the flange was pulling up at an angle, so the gap is between the 2 studs, so what i would do is take it somewhere, to an exhaust place with a oxygen - acetelene plant and heat the flange up to red hot and belt it as flat at as you can with a hammer on a flat anvil and then clean up the mating faces and put a new set of gaskets and see if it seals, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]