Central Locking

Started by AndrewR, July 02, 2014, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewR

All of a sudden my remote central locking wont work on my 166. Press the button on the remote the doors lock then open again. The car will lock when I put the key in the drivers door and turn. When I try and open with the remote the doors open the lock again so I have to use the key again. Any simple fix?
2006-166 Ti

colcol

My central locking on the 33 works really good when the battery is fully charged, try charging the battery on the 166 and see if it cures it, also how are the battery in the remote?, if it is ok, make sure the terminals are clean.
Sometimes the solenoid in the door can not work properly, due to bad connectors, give the connectors a clean and put some copperkote grease to improve electrical conductivity.
If all the rods and levers get a bit out of adjustment and the joints get a bit dry, then it is too hard for the solenoid to shut or open the lock.
When the command is given to lock or unlock the door, the master central locking may get half a second to power the solenoid, if its a bit stiff, then it might only shut or open the solenoid halfway, and it will just go back to its former position, ie not locking or unlocking door, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewR

The 166 battery is fine but the remote I think is the original so I will change it. The rest I will leave till the weekend.
2006-166 Ti

colcol

If the remote is similar to the 156, then it has a battery in it, that is stand alone, ie, it doesn't charge off the car when plugged into the ignition switch, but the 156 batteries are very common and can be purchased at Jaycar, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig C

Also check door seals in case one of the doors isn't completely closed.  Ultimately I found I needed new solenoids which made a huge difference so I guess there is a fair bit of wear over time.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

colcol

Try removing the battery leads and opening each door and trying the locking system manually, without the solenoids working and see if one door is stiffer than all the rest, if one door is, it might be worth fixing that door central locking mechanisms, and see if that helps, Colin.

AndrewR

Yes it's the drivers side door lock motor, ordered a new one, there goes dinner out next week!
2006-166 Ti