SPAM Designers in the blimmin UK - new user moderation

Started by Evan Bottcher, June 08, 2014, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

To stop the continuous flood of SPAM spam, I've activated moderation for the first post of every new user.  This means if you are a new user, you can write your first post but you'll have to wait until I approve it before it'll appear on the site.  This might be slightly annoying, but I think it's the best option right now.  It won't affect any user after their first post.

A bit of brief googling suggests this SPAM scam thing is a scourge across the globe, seemingly all triggered by one company in the UK.  I'm suspicious that the company probably are scammers anyway.  They must be using real humans to get by the (admittedly basic) anti-spam measures on the site, not just dumb robots.  Apparently telling them to F off we're not in the UK won't achieve anything....

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

SPAM designers are failed architects, aren't they?

Do they still drive SAAB's?

Evan Bottcher

In case anyone cares - I still get the SPAM spam, about twice a week - sometimes a couple of new registrations within an hour or two.  By checking each 'first post' of new users, I delete the accounts before they bother anyone.  No great effort required from me, but still annoying that it happens.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal