Giulia Super Speedometer - Difference Between Metric and Imperial

Started by Meiang, July 14, 2014, 07:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiang

I was checking my extensive collection (don't ask) of Giulia Super speedometers and tachometers yesterday and noticed the metric ones go to 200km/h and the imperial ones go to 140mph (225km/h).

Not having driven my own super I've never noticed this anaomaly.

Why?  Anybody know?

Barry Edmunds

Meiang, I have never given much thought to that issue previously but I would think that the differences would be to the nearest conversion and rounded off to the nearest whole number rather than an anomaly.
1 miles equals 1.60934 km so if you multiply 1.60934 by your mph, e.g. 100 you will arrive at 160.934 kmh. From the other direction, multiply your kmh by 0.621 and you will get your equivalent mph reading.
I would guess that officialdom adopted a common-sense approach and opted for 100 kmh when the switch was made to metrics.
When I restored my Super I acquired a metric speedo in place of the original mph unit and sourced the correct speedo drive ratio out of the gearbox and I have a speedo that is as near a I can get it dead accurate. I have checked my speedo against Vic and NSW police speedometer check equipment and also sat nav systems and all have produced exactly the same result.
Barry

ItalCarGuy

Dunno why it wasn't a straight conversion but on the coupes I know they  use a higher top speed speedo for the upper end models. For example the stepfront GT Veloce and GTA  have a 220km/hr gauge and the junior has a 200km/hr gauge. the 2600's had a 220 gauge as well I think?

My car has an italian 200k/h gauge like Barry's too.

Meiang, got any tachs with no redlines? These are from very early Supers. I have a fairly solid 105 sedan clock collection too.

Craig_m67

I don't suppose you have a kilometre (or miles) one that would suit the junior do you?
The one I have has both on it and it's annoyingly busy looking.

Details I know.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)