Introducing "The Kyneton Skid Pig"

Started by Mat Francis, July 03, 2014, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

Thought people (especially Peter!) might enjoy a couple of very average snaps of my latest bright idea, a budget autocross car appropriately known as "the Kyneton skid pig."

It's a 3L 75 that I bought with the intention of probably wrecking for other projects, but after a good look decided it was too good for that and that it should be resurrected. So far we've only spent a day working on it (mind you it was 2 of us going absolutely flat out for 12 hours), but all it should need from here is a timing belt, the interior stripped and to have the race seat fitted.

Needless to say, we're absolutely itching to get it out into the dirt in a few weeks time!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

Where are you going to auto cross Matt? I'm interested!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

Hey Evan, the Kyneton car club has a track and runs a series which ill do as much as possible of (hence the name). Theres also a good track out at Ballarat that ive done previously, but as the car is stored 10 minutes from Kyneton it makes sense to go there. Obviously I will provide videos later on. Cheers!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

I've got a car at Maldon that's potentially suitable (certainly expendable), and I thought autocross might be fun. I didn't know there's a track at Kyneton... Thanks for enlightening me, I'm going to look further into it!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

jazig.k

It doesn't look to be a 3lt? No bumper accordions, side exit exhaust, what fuel tank does it have? In the boot or under? Or did you guys put TS gear on it?

Mat Francis

Good spotting, and also good assumptions there. The TS bumpers were one of the things we did to it. Its definitely a 3L. Boot tank. the LSD works very well, and that 2nd gear goes forever- perfect for autocross!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Frank Musco

lol   Go "The Kyneton Skid Pig"!!! Give it heaps, no mercy, I want to hear those valves bounce.

AlfaACT

Hey Matt,

Can it be the same car?
The progress is nothing less than sensational!

Take care and enjoy ... :-)

Mat Francis

Cheers guys!
Videos to follow in a few weeks  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

The Bottchers dropped in to see the Skid Pig debut today, can't believe I've never had a go at autocross before it looks like so much fun!

Photos/videos are just from the iPhone unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ygtZRUuVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq53WaSxYG0

Matt - we only stopped for about half an hour.  Looked like they were reconfiguring the track when we left.  How many runs did you get in the day?  How many different track configurations?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Mat Francis

What can I say, how good was that! We absolutely bloody flogged the poor old car all day, and aside from what I think was probably a bit of fuel starvation (didn't change the fuel pump/filter yet, its the next thing to do), the car was absolutely bulletproof! Can't wait to get back there for another go.

Good of you to drop in Evan! Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you much.

Yep, they did 2 runs at each course, and then modified it in between as you suspected. 4 different courses so 8 timed runs, with a sighting parade lap in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFzqDBe27w

Here's my last run for the day. In between the seat belt trying to kill me (watch for the unexplained arm movements as it slides off my shoulders and restricts my arm movement, 6 point harness and a race seat will go in before the next one), it was probably my tidiest and quickest run of the day. There were a few other interesting moments on camera throughout the day that I'll edit into a single video shortly.

Let's see more Alfas out there at the next one!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Frank Musco

That's fricken awesome! Heaps of sideways action and revs...Well Done!

Sheldon McIntosh

Haha, your hands are a constant blur.

Looks like fun, I'll be out there next time, even if it's in the family wagon.

Well done Mat.

Paul Gulliver

Quotewatch for the unexplained arm movements

I wasn't sure which bit that was. It looked like 60 secs of unexplained arm movement. LOL

Looks like a heap of fun Matt
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Mat Francis

Haha, cheers blokes!

Unfortunately the next one now clashes with the winton sprint, not entirely decided which one I'll do yet, but I'd say it will probably be Winton.

Life's pretty tough when you've gotta decide which track car you're going to take out for the weekend.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie