Ok, now im worried

Started by bendover, September 30, 2014, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

I was given the 147 a bit of a clean up and change over to newer coil pack.

I was staggered to see that pots 3 to 6 were full of oil. When i changed the plugs a couple of weeks age they were fine. WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG.

Surely this shouldnt happen. I now cant get the plug out of pot three to clean it. The plug spanner wont go over it. It went ove the others fine, but not this little bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...................d.

I put things pack with the newer coil pack and it runs so well it doesnt seem the same car i bought.

Oh yes blue a smoke screen the QE2 would be proud of, oil got into one of the pots.

What causes this and how can i stop the oil in the pots.

Cool Jesus

Rocker cover gasket needs replacing
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

How hard is that to do and whats the cost.

I took her for drive and she just goes and goes i have more power than i had before even with the air con working.

Cool Jesus

It's a simple job. You've been as far as taking condensors out, it's basically an extra 4 screws. Gasket is about $50 I think. Just make sure everything is clean before installation. Some of use do and some don't but I always use rtv sealant on the engine face, especially near the front of the engine where the gasket kinks to go over the cams. I would also strongly recommend torquing the screws back on. If not just nip them up, they're ment to be only 12Nm or so.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

colcol

Every 3 years when you do the timing belt change, if it done properly, then the cam locks will be put on, and the cam cover will come off and the gasket should be replaced, as you can't reuse old gaskets, if the gasket wasn't replaced, then it was done on the cheap, or cam locks were not used and the timing cams to crank was done by white marker pen, everything lined up, marked with a pen, fingers crossed and hope for the best.
The cam cover gaskets are not that expensive on their own, i don't use RTV gasket cement as it is too much trouble cleaning it off, and i am lazy, so i use Loctite fully hardening gasket cement, that cleans off with thinners, and this allows me to get high on the thinners fumes while working on my car - bonus, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bendover

You werent high when you posted, were you.

Mate being, what can only be described  as an old fart, I had to take my young grandaughter horse riding today.

It was out in the country and on the best road i have driven in a while. 10klm of winding twisting road.
I opened up the 147 and i was shocked at just how good this car is. It sticks like poo.
Since i did some work on her, not the rocker cover yet, i have to find one, she just kept going and going and before i knew it, i was up to 160 and still going, had to back off havent had so much fun since granny got her tit caught in the ringer.

Hav

colcol

As you know, i am always high when i post, and it is good to see that you are enjoying your 147 to the max, you may wish to put your energies to some Alfa Romeo Club Sprints, Winton and Wakefield are not that far away from Canberra, as we would never endorse anyone exceeding the speed limit in their Alfa Romeo, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bendover

Of course i would never exceed the speed l
Hey i have seen a very nice Q4 JTS, what are they like.

Craig_m67

Heavy, not nearly as dainty as a 147 (or 156)
Gorgeous looking things in Sportwagon form though - I'd get the 2.4JTD, the torque is addictive.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on October 01, 2014, 03:19:54 PM
As you know, i am always high when i post, and it is good to see that you are enjoying your 147 to the max, you may wish to put your energies to some Alfa Romeo Club Sprints, Winton and Wakefield are not that far away from Canberra, as we would never endorse anyone exceeding the speed limit in their Alfa Romeo, Colin.

Col, you should know that nobody ever exceeds the speed limit in their Alfa Romeo!  :D

bendover

Craig, one thing about me is, i have never been described as dainty.

I am a rather large person, but not dainty. When i showed she who must be obeyed  your comments, well it was hard trying to stop her laughing

I must say these cars are addictive. Why people complain about them i dont know. Mine has everything in it you need, including superb leather seats. The engines are easier to work on than my previous V8,s.
The just get up and go and go and go, you get the picture.

I laugh when i see comments from people who havent got a clue and say, never buy an Alfa they are rubbish. Well to be honest before i got mine, i really didnt have a clue about them, but sure do now.