156 Dipped beam bulb

Started by SimonB, July 19, 2014, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonB

Hi all
Ok, so my offside main headlight has blown. I have just changed the bulb and it's still not working, it's the right bulb and the right way up....any ideas?

SimonB

Sorry guys, all sorted. Tried the second bulb in the pack and it worked.....Simon

colcol

One of the most difficult jobs in a 156, so little room to put hands in and undo spring clasps and unplug wires, just love the dreaded yellow warning light indicating globe not working.
The high and low beam globes are quite easy to buy from Repco, but the parking light that is 6 watt is very hard to buy as the pins are at an angle, and the more common easily available 6 watt globe that the pins are 180 degrees to each other, so be carefull when you buy the parking globes.
When you push the globes back into the aperture in the light assembly, look at it from the front of the car, and you will be able to see the globe going into its home, it is impossible to see the globe aperture from the back.
If it was a GTA, you have to take the bumper bar off, then its a big job to change a light globe, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Domenic

Hey Col,

Those park light globes aren't hard to get, we have them in stock, so if you struggle to get them let us know

colcol

What place is that?,
Is it Italian Automotive Spares, 9 Kirkdale Street, East Brunswick, 3057, telephone [03] 9036 1606,
good to know you have them, i once spent 3 hours driving around the Northern Suburbs, NO ONE stocks them, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Domenic

Yes, that is correct Col.

At least you'll know for future reference. Also it helps when one of us is an Auto Electrician :)

colcol

Hopefully the one that is the Auto Electrician has very small child like hands to get the globes in and out, Colin.

Bear157

I rang the guys at Automotion one day to ask how you are supposed to see what you are doing while changing the drivers side bulb. The solution, stick your phone down there and take a pic and then look at the pic while changing it so you know what you are feeling when you are fiddling around there.

It was still a pain, but much easier. I then couldn't get the lights to work. It seems I bumped the other light bundle off and without that connected the headlights won't work...Italian wiring ideas lol.

I also had a problem with mine because it looked like a dull bulb. It turned out to be the adjustment pointing right down. I slipped a socket on the adjuster and wound it up to where it should be and all fixed. If I had known that, I wouldn't have changed the bulb to start with...grrrr!

poohbah

Two quick (possibly dumb) questions:

1. Drivers side main beam seems to have blown, but yellow warning light is not showing in dash - any suggestions why?

2. Should I disconnect the batter to replace the main beam globe which seems to have gone? (I blew a bunch of fuses recently when I removed the stereo without disconnecting negative terminal first, so am wary of repeating my mistake, even though I have successfully replaced globes in the past without disconnecting)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Quote from: Domenic on July 21, 2014, 08:08:39 AM

Hey Col,

Those park light globes aren't hard to get, we have them in stock, so if you struggle to get them let us know

I need two and repco wants $15./ each!
Nobody else has has them.. Bloody annoying
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

Repco and Burson's stock the parking light globes. H6W

Yes they are expensive. They are halogen globes.