Twin spark thermostat housings - WTF with the plastic elbows

Started by Cool Jesus, August 06, 2014, 09:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Hey troops, have been performing a major service on my daughters 147 and finding plenty of gremlins left over from previous unworthy owners. Anyhow, a quick search on the www netted no result and it's the second time I've come across this. The tspark thermostat housing has a 90deg plastic elbow inlet nozzle screwed into it. I've found that it's leaking coolant from its threading. The thermostat works fine, gets to 90c quickly and stays there all day. Is there, has anyone else, retro fitted a nozzle? Was thinking that a metal nozzle would be sturdier (as are the other 2 inlet/outlets on it). Why plastic???? Am I right that a brass alternative would be detrimental with the alloy?

I'm a little miffed about as it's working fine and when I replaced the spider's thermostat, it too leaked from this plastic elbow's thread. Brand new!!! I managed to tighten thT on up, but nearly destroyed it as the plastic spannering nut just rounded itself off.

Any suggestions or am I up for another housing?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Try resealing it with teflon tape or Loctite pipe or bush sealant.
You may be able to 'mongrel' the pipe off with a pair of multigrips or vice grip pliers.
Or you could wait about 10 minutes for the thermostat to fail or the other pipe to start leaking and then you can justify buying a new thermostat assembly.
The twin spark thermostats are quite well priced, not as expensive as the JTS, which i have replaced THREE times.
I cannot see why a brass elbow wouldn't work, put some sealant on the threads, but you might find there is a lot of mucking around to buy one and it might cost more than its worth.
With the problem of it leaking again and your daughter complaining about dad 'never fixing it properly', you might be best to buy a new thermostat, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Yeah I know. I'll probably get a thermostat to have here, its just a pain that it's such a complicated item. Still I've got a bit of time before it arrives with the hoses I've ordered. So I'll probably see if I can play around with it. Yeah I did catch your delema with the thermostats. Had a closer look at my thermostat and it looks like the other outlets are brass? I thought brass and aluminium didn't go well as for as electrolysis. They could be the gold coated zinc steel items I guess. Thanks for the in put. CAn always county on grand Poobah col to chime in. Keep it up mate.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

One day, when i had too much time on my hands i decided if it would be possible to remove the thermostats, that are faulty and replace them with a new one and put it back in the housing, but there would be so much work, it just wouldn't be economical, and plus the fact the plastic pieces get hot and become brittle and crack, and then there would be the problem of sourcing a new thermostat.
The amount of money you would save and running an old housing, which would be prone to leaking and cooking the engine vs a new one, just wouldn't be worth it, i reckon, just try a different brand of thermostat and see if a change of brands helps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]