new to the site

Started by bendover, August 22, 2014, 08:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

I have just joined this site after buying a 2003 147 T spark 2.0.

I have read all sorts of horror stories about Alfa,s and problesm with them, but dont you get problems with other cars. I bought this car because i like it.

I was wondering, apart from the recommended time frame, how do you know when the cam belts need changing. Is the 60k just a guide, or is there some other way of telling when they need changing.

I have sourced the parts from the UK at a price well below what Australian dealers and parts people are asking.

One problem i have noticed is, the car doesnt like running with the auto air on, its very rough on acceleration, it kind of has a delay. Is this a sign of the belts or is it the MAF.

bendover

Quote from: bendover on August 22, 2014, 08:47:45 AM

I have read all sorts of horror stories about Alfa,s and problesm with them, but dont you get problems with other cars. I bought this car because i like it.

I was wondering, apart from the recommended time frame, how do you know when the cam belts need changing. Is the 60k just a guide, or is there some other way of telling when they need changing.

I have sourced the parts from the UK at a price well below what Australian dealers and parts people are asking.

One problem i have noticed is, the car doesnt like running with the auto air on, its very rough on acceleration, it kind of has a delay. Is this a sign of the belts or is it the MAF.

I joined a UK site also. I had loads of responses. What about Australia.................zero.

Come on a little help, or dont we bother helping newcomers.

Jekyll and Hyde

Less than 24 hours, and your post has been viewed only 15 times... Maybe if you'd titled it something else, like 'running rough with aircon on', and picked a username that doesn't sound like yet another spam bot, you might have got more interest from what is a fairly small user base in comparison to the English forums. 

And given your second post.... I doubt you'll get much more help now than you've already got, so good job.  Enjoy the English forums.

bendover

Know i now what im dealing with here.

Jeez what a bunch of snobs.

meizhak

Quote from: bendover on August 23, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

Good England
1979 alfetta gtv 2000`
series 1 alfa 33 1.7i 16v

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: bendover on August 23, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

Well, actually, with this thread and our 4,000 registered users, you now have more replies than you've got out of 5 posts on Alfaowner with their 144,000 registered users.  They seem to be doing a pretty good job of snobbing your attempts at hijacking someone else's thread, if you ask me. 

Brad M

Quote from: bendover on August 23, 2014, 08:31:34 AM
Quote from: bendover on August 22, 2014, 08:47:45 AM

I joined a UK site also. I had loads of responses. What about Australia.................zero.

Come on a little help, or dont we bother helping newcomers.

Sorry, I can't help much on the Twin Spark. But, welcome never the less.

Regarding slow responses to you post, it wasn't even visible for the 24 hours. The webmaster stops all initial posts until approved (stops the spam), and he was driving from Melbourne to Goulburn yesterday.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

bendover

I wasnt aware of that, so that could explain things. As for my remarks, look at what the guy said to me, things like have no value at all and are a waste of time. You either offer advice or you dont, thats why i joined this site.

I bought an Alfa because i just love it. I want to get it back to as origianl as i can, but it has a couple of minor issue that i want to fix. I cant do the belts, but i can don most else.

If you didnt like my comments, then too bad because i dont like idiots like that not helping when i wasnt aware of the delay.

colcol

Hello bendover, you are not Lord Bendover from the band 'The Upper Crust'?, love to know how you came up with the name.
We have had a few problems in the past with spammers posting 'cheap SPAMs from the UK' and the like, so the moderator had to vet all new members before they were allowed to post, and that usually takes about a day or so.
The 147 has to have the timing belts changed every 50,000 or 3 years, as the factory experienced some timing belt failures early on, so they reduced it.
When you are chasing spare parts, give the locals a go, they can sometimes surprise you, and you usually get it next day, have a look at the supporters page, I have used Italian Automotive Spares in Melbourne, they are Alfa Club Members and have a good knowledge of Alfa Romeo's.
The 147 can like a drink of oil, so keep an eye on the level, check it weekly, the oil to use is 10-40 fully synthetic, the brand being up to you, if it has high kilometres and uses a lot of oil, try 10-60.
The place to get your 147 serviced is an Alfa Romeo Service Provider, as they have the experience and tools to do the job properly, franchised service providers just don't have the knowledge.
With the rough idle and misfire, it would be best to get the 147 connected to a Alfa Romeo/Fiat Scanner, to find out what the problem is, look for worn out Lambda Senders or dirty MAF.
The 147 and 156 series cars also suffer from faulty thermostats that fail after a few years and stay open and cause the engine to run too cold and cause more wear on the motor and to use more fuel, but the most important thing for living in Canberra, with a good thermostat, your heater will work better, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bendover

Bendover, is a comedian and is extremely funny.

As for being a spammer, the only spam i like comes from a tin and deep fried.

LaStregaNera

Quote from: bendover on August 24, 2014, 01:21:34 PMthe only spam i like comes from a tin and deep fried.
There is clearly something very wrong with you!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6