Radio code

Started by bendover, August 29, 2014, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

How on earth do you get the radio code for 2003 alfa 147.

I followed the instructions to reset the ECU and lo and behold, no radio.

There is nothing in any manual to tell me what make it its, on the diagram it says RAI MF1.

Craig_m67

Easily solved.

Pull the radio out,
Get the full serial number and BP numbers (long) off the side/back and or photograph it like I did

Post your request for a radio code here >> http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/140598-need-a-radio-code-ask-here.html

Write the code down somewhere safe (on top radio) you may need it any time the battery is disconnected.
Good luck.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cool Jesus

I've got access to radio codes. Just need that serial number that's stamped on the side of the chassis. It's the BP number in Craig's photo, yours should start with BP937..... Followed by 9 numbers. PM me the serial and ill pm the code to you. If you need the tool to remove the radio just pop in to supercheap or a car stereo shop and grab a set for under $10, they are handy to have anyway. It's a u shaped wire that is inserted in those holes in the front.  I've had my battery disconnected without needing the code. Maybe the length of disconnection could be a point. I'll find out myself soon, had battery off for two weeks now.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Sorry mate, that was my bad. Didn't think recoding was an issue with a battery disconnect  :-[
Did the ecu reset make any difference?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

Thats ok mate.

How do i get the radio out. I cant see a way to remove it, dont forget, i am known as Tim the Tool Man in mechanical cricles.

Craig_m67

Quote from: Cool Jesus on August 29, 2014, 10:19:32 AM

If you need the tool to remove the radio just pop in to supercheap or a car stereo shop and grab a set for under $10, they are handy to have anyway. It's a u shaped wire that is inserted in those holes in the front.

Or snip a wire coat hanger into two u shaped handles that will fit (vertically) in the holes in each corner of the head unit. The correct tool is useful and cheap if you can find one and you will use it again, ie. when you ask us how to fit an Aux in cable :)

Picture is sometimes worth a thousand words

alfamisa

Quote from: Cool Jesus on August 29, 2014, 10:29:35 AM
Sorry mate, that was my bad. Didn't think recoding was an issue with a battery disconnect  :-[

That's interesting because the later MY05 147 (facelift model built from 11/2004) don't have that problem. I disconnected the battery before going OS for six weeks and no code was required on connection.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

bendover

Its ok guys, its working now.

Problem is i havent got rid of the stutter in my motor. This is starting to give me the ..............ts.

Whats next, the Lambda sensor, the cam belts, the pretty maids all in a in line and dancing out of step.

I am starting to think buying this car was a big mistake..

Craig_m67

Quote from: misa on August 29, 2014, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: Cool Jesus on August 29, 2014, 10:29:35 AM

That's interesting because the later MY05 147 (facelift model built from 11/2004) don't have that problem. I disconnected the battery before going OS for six weeks and no code was required on connection.

That's why I said you "may" need it.
On my '03 156 JTD I need it every time.
On the '03 156 V6 only needed it after some months.

Cool Jesus

Yeah, I have a feeling it has to do with how will the charge is held within the radio. It's triggered if the rear plug is removed. However for mechanical repairs, the radio can hold its charge for some time after battery disconnection.

Bendy, preserver mate, you won't regret it. The problems your facing are those from slack owners who failed to properly service it. If you do the work yourself, you'll also gave a better understanding of the Alfa. They're not hard to work on, but propped maintenance is essential
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Bendy, thats why you should get an Alfa Romeo checked out by an Alfa Romeo Service Provider who can connect a Alfa/Fiat Scanner and tell you what needs doing and how much it will cost.
They are reliable cars if serviced correctly and on time.
I paid someone in the UK on Ebay about $9 to tell me what my radio code was, i tried the free ones and i kept getting the wrong code....and every time you put in the wrong code, it locks you out a bit longer, in the end i had put in so many dud codes, it locked me out for 24 hours.
I have the code written on the armrest, so i can flip it up when i need the code and not have to look for a bit of paper i wrote down and lost it, the radio's are not worth stealing anyway and if they do get stolen, the code can be purchased off Ebay, by the receiver, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Bendy, as a precaution with these radios. There's been a bad batch produced or a software glitch which turns the radio on randomly when its been parked. Owners have found their batteries flattened by this little gremlin. A method to avoid this occurring is to leave a cd in the player... go figure, but it works apparently. Hasn't happened to me, but there's a cd in my player regardless.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS