So i killed a brand new tyre in 20 laps

Started by DHDamo, November 17, 2014, 08:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHDamo

Hi all, any suggestions - last week i put on a set of 4 Kumho ku36 tyres. I drove to Qr (about 150km) and in 20 laps the front pass side tyre is in a bad way. The outside third of the tyre has tears/rips running front to back on about 1/3 of the tread blocks. Last week i also had 2+ neg camber put in as the crusty old street tyres on it before were doing a similar thing. The circuit layout was 5 right handers and only 2 lefts so i understand slightly uneven wear but im a bit shocked by this. Front end has been checked recently and wheel alignment too. Just shit driving/shit tyres/shit setup/shit luck?
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

festy

Could they be cuts from contact with the guard under suspension compression?

DHDamo

Could be i guess. There are some that arent so symmetric tho too. Will have to take another look. Thanks for the suggestion festy.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

Duk

Photo????

Sounds a bit like the typical 'Soft Alfa front suspension plus shit geometry' syndrome.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Evan Bottcher

I'd be intrigued to see a photo too.  Back when our Sud had stock front suspension and road tyres, we'd kill the passenger front left at Winton (mostly right handers).  But the symptoms were lots of scrub at the outer edge and eventually if pushed too hard they'd melt and blister.  I never saw tears/rips.

Now that the Sud has 33 front suspension, 3.5 degrees of camber, stiff springs, and on R tyres we still kill the passenger front left at Winton.  But we're going a lot quicker... :)

One bit of advice I was given if running road tyres on the track - get half the tread depth shaved off before using them.  It reduces the squirm of the tread blocks, which reduces heat, and makes them last twice as long.  Worked for me on the last set of road tyres we used before switching to R tyres.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal