The Lambda sensor

Started by bendover, August 29, 2014, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

Can anybody tell me what type of sensor i need for 2003 147 T spark 2.0

I have been confused by a dealer telling me its two up and two down. I have no idea what this means.

I have also been told it needs two sensors also they are easy to change.

I am not the greatest mechanic in the world but will give anything a go. All i need is to know what to buy and what all the dealr talk is about.

Craig_m67

There are four lambda sensors.
Two are high up, two are low down. 
I believe the two (sets) are slightly different from each other.

It was discussed just recently for another member >> http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12707.msg77438.html#msg77438  :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bendover

I read that before but is double dutch to me.

Cool Jesus

You should have got part numbers from them at the time. Anyhow, all lamdas are gone? That sucks, not a cheap part. Anyhow, between the engine and radiator there's a heat shield. Remove and you'll see the 2 pre cat lamdas. Crawl under the middle of the car and you'll find a 3rd lambda in front of the cat along the exhaust, this ones going to cause some swearing to run the cable. But there isn't a forth, only 3 and the difference is the length of the plug lead. I believe it's a 21mm spanner to remove, soak then over night with wd40. They do stick.

Arh bendy, your certainly getting stuck into the joys of Alfas here.

Which sensors need replacing?
Actually, what were you charged for the diagnostic? Imagine trying to diagnose all of these issues on here.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

You have a great sense of humour my friend.

Honestly i have no idea about part numbers, or anything else for that matter.

So there are two under the heat shield inside the engine bay, is that correct?.

And one underneath the car. I saw a video on youtube on how to change one on a 1.9 alfa. the guy made it look so easy and me thinks, boy i could do that. If only.

I will have a look under the heat shield first, and i do swear at most things so this will be nothing new.

Oh yes, me being a bit of a tight arse, can they be cleaned and replaced. I also saw on eBay people selling llambda sensors, but the had 4 wires coming off them, are these what i need.

colcol

Hello Bendy, i hope you know that the Lambda Sensors are faulty, don't just replace them and hope for the best, a diagnostic will tell you which ones are giving trouble, ie left bank or right bank and or upper and lower or pre cat or ex cat, the pre cat Lambda's will tell the computer the oxygen levels going into the cat and coming out of the cat, to see if the cats doing its job.
I would stick with Genuine Lambda's as the non Genuine copies may not have the same values and cause the computer to think that they are faulty, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Yeah Col, he mentioned further above that the dealer pointed out the lambdas were faulty, and its just dawned on me that Bendy stated two easy sensors. I take it he means the two front Lambda sensors.

Here's a website you need to start playing around with (ePER). Its a parts catalog, play around with it, you can even insert your chassis number and it brings up your car and related parts.

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi?DRIVE=D&GUI_LANG=3&LANGUAGE=3&COUNTRY=012&DRV=D&searchButton=Go%21&KEY=STARTUP

Yes mate i believe its the 4 wire sensors. Here's the part number - 46762182 - LAMBDA PROBE.
If you have the tools, by all means give it a go it is almost too easy to do the front pair (up stream), be prepared that murphy is always lurking and they do stick in the thread from corrosion and heat etc. hit it with WD40 as a precaution.

Tight arse, aren't we all? Mate I've been waiting more than a week for parts, but its 50% less than local pricing and I can wait. No real point cleaning them, they're only going to get sooty first crank. When they fail, its more an internal problem with the element giving up or the wiring.

Next time you get a diagnostic, make them give you the print out of the results.

Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bendover

What i did this morning was take off every lead i could and spray them all with contact cleaner, it sure made a difference, dont know if its a stop gap or not, but i am not touching anything else until it needs it.

NOW, onto the suspension, it rattles and squeeks. When i got the car they had to do wheel bearings and the top mounts, what ever they are.