Alfa GT - why has nobody bought this???

Started by cranberry, September 05, 2014, 06:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Is it registed, or is it an unregistable writeoff, i see trade plates, nut no rego plates or mention of length of current rego, remember the GT that was doing the rounds about 4 years ago in Queensland, for a good price, being sold by the mother of the owner, outside a dodgy factory?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

cranberry

Have been told the heater has been disconnected and heater core bypassed. WTF?

Alarm bells are now ringing loud and clear...

colcol

There is at least a $1800 repair bill to get it going, if it has been in an a prang, then the rego authorities will want to have a close look for any ripples and unrepaired accident damage, and why no number plates???, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Dna Dave

1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
2002 Alfa 156 GTA
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2007 Mazerati MC Victory
1985 Gtv6 (GTA motor)
1983 Gtv6 (original) no sunroof

Past,

Not that many 😜

colcol

Front wheel drive race cars do work, ask any Sud, Sprint, 33 or Mini driver, the GT won't work good as it has too much power for the front wheels and is far too heavy.
And if you buy it and can't register it, you will have to trailer it to a race track, Colin.

Neil Choi

Quote from: Dna Dave on September 06, 2014, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: Neil Choi on September 05, 2014, 07:09:53 PM
Race car.

No, front wheel drive for race cars don't work

;)

Mmmm, you and Alfio and others are doing alright from I saw!!!  Or are you just foxing?  I think you are.  I am not smart but not that dumb neither.

Again, cheap race car and cheap power.  GT here I come.

Colin, are you referring to the "embarrassment of power".  I would love to be embarrassed.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: colcol on September 06, 2014, 12:49:12 PM
the GT won't work good as it has too much power for the front wheels and is far too heavy.

Mmm - this GT seemed to be going okay on the weekend (looks stunning too)... 
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Quote from: colcol on September 06, 2014, 12:49:12 PM
Front wheel drive race cars do work, ask any Sud, Sprint, 33 or Mini driver, the GT won't work good as it has too much power for the front wheels and is far too heavy.
And if you buy it and can't register it, you will have to trailer it to a race track, Colin.

Trailered race cars are faster.

Dna Dave

I was kidding about the front wheel drive/ race car comment.

I have driven many race cars, both front wheel and rear wheel drive, and a well set up front wheel drive is just as rewarding to drive as any, and quicker in the wet.

Just check out my lastest download from 2 weeks ago, I'm sure you will see what I mean, and no foxing 😃.

Just look in the photo and video section, 2014 East Coast challege Wakefield.

David
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
2002 Alfa 156 GTA
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2007 Mazerati MC Victory
1985 Gtv6 (GTA motor)
1983 Gtv6 (original) no sunroof

Past,

Not that many 😜

colcol

All race cars, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and four wheel drive have advantages and disadvantages over each other, remember the Australian 2 litre Super Tourers from the mid 90's?, i watched them at Calder Park Raceway in the wet and each drive configeration was good and bad.
The GT for sale, if you are unable to register it, means that you can't drive it to the racetrack and you will need to buy a towcar and trailer.
Front wheel drives are good in the wet on a race track and nice driving them on the road, Colin.

wantok

Couldn't agree more ColCol

Two of the Top 3 cars in the AROCA QLD Alfacomp series are front wheel drive!!!

Craig_m67

Quote from: cranberry on September 06, 2014, 07:04:53 AM
Have been told the heater has been disconnected and heater core bypassed. WTF?

Alarm bells are now ringing loud and clear...

WTF!! :) ... this is fairly common.

The heater matrix is cheap, replacing it is labor intensive. It you live in QLD and never use a heater, then bypassing it is an obvious and very common option. It is afterall bypassed by the ventilation system until required as standard (which is why they rot and corrode and then fail when somebody uses them).
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)