2004 Alfa Romeo 156 Alarm Problems?

Started by CaptaiinCaveman_, September 06, 2014, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptaiinCaveman_

Hello,
I bought an Alfa Romeo 156 a couple of weeks ago and as I was playing around with it, I decided to test the alarm system on it. When I lock the doors and open them using the actual key (not the unlock button), shouldn't the car alam go off, that's how it was on my dad's previous cars (Hyundai Accent and Kia Cerato).
If it doesn't go off this way, how can I test it?
Also I found these weird looking things behind the rear view mirror and an unplugged part in the bonnet (just above the right headlamp). Wondering what these are? (Pics included) The one that says META SYSTEM has a red light behind it which doesn't light up or blink.
Cheers.

colcol

Welcome Captain to Alfa Romeo ownership, if your car is 2002 onwards, one of those weird things on the windscreen could be for the rain sensing, so that when its eye sees water on the screen it turns the wiper on...or it could be something else.
Have a go, if you can pull that alarm module out of the engine bay and see what brand it is and google it and see if you can download a instruction manual for it.
Cars being so secure these days, there is not much need for an alarm, car thieves, if they want that car bad enough, will break into your home and steal the keys
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

CaptaiinCaveman_

Quote from: colcol on September 06, 2014, 04:14:25 PM
Welcome Captain to Alfa Romeo ownership, if your car is 2002 onwards, one of those weird things on the windscreen could be for the rain sensing, so that when its eye sees water on the screen it turns the wiper on...or it could be something else.
Have a go, if you can pull that alarm module out of the engine bay and see what brand it is and google it and see if you can download a instruction manual for it.
Cars being so secure these days, there is not much need for an alarm, car thieves, if they want that car bad enough, will break into your home and steal the keys
Yea I pulled it out and googled it, it's one of the meta m750 alarm units, it was plugged out and I plugged it back in, now when I lock the car using the remote, it makes this beeping noise and the red light starts blinking, but opening the doors using the key doesn't trigger the alarm though. There is also these things installed inside which are apparently some ultrasonic alarm things as an accessory with the meta system.

CaptaiinCaveman_

Also yes, the weird looking things were infact a rain censor, didn't know the car had one of those.

CaptaiinCaveman_

Yep figured it out, when the doors are locked using the remote, the red light starts blinking and after about 30 seconds the alarm gets armed. Once that is done, if anything breaks the invisible beam coming out of the little ultrasound sensors inside, the alarm goes off, ie if the doors are opened or the boot is opened. The only way to turn it off is using the remote, the actual keys don't disable the alarm.

colcol

Now that you have solved that problem, you might consider becoming involved with the Alfa Romeo Owners club, General Meeting next Wednesday, Sunday Run to Hanging Rock next Sunday, starting point Maranello Pursang Motors, 33 Colebrook road Brunswick and get polishing for the big show day November 30th at Wesley School in St. Kilda, more 156 drivers, bring it on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

CaptaiinCaveman_

Quote from: colcol on September 06, 2014, 10:47:13 PM
Now that you have solved that problem, you might consider becoming involved with the Alfa Romeo Owners club, General Meeting next Wednesday, Sunday Run to Hanging Rock next Sunday, starting point Maranello Pursang Motors, 33 Colebrook road Brunswick and get polishing for the big show day November 30th at Wesley School in St. Kilda, more 156 drivers, bring it on, Colin.
I appreciate it, but I haven't even got my licence yet, I'm only 17 and am getting my p plates next month, decided to get a car so I have time to learn how to drive stick

colcol

Throw on some 'L' plates, bring a fully licenced adult and come for a drive.
Its great that you have chose an Alfa Romeo for your first car, as opposed to a Hyudai or something horrible, Colin.

CaptaiinCaveman_

Quote from: colcol on September 07, 2014, 11:02:37 AM
Throw on some 'L' plates, bring a fully licenced adult and come for a drive.
Its great that you have chose an Alfa Romeo for your first car, as opposed to a Hyudai or something horrible, Colin.
Haha yea I'll see what I can do, thanks for your help though

Neil Choi

Craig_m67

The Meta-system alarm is OEM fit from Alfa and/or dealer fit for poverty pack cars that came without (like mine) that may have needed it for insurance purposes. It's a pain in the arse to maintain as nobody knows how to program it or fuss with it. As such it usually gets disconnected.

It is a separate system to the immobiliser and central locking
It should unlock (disarm) if you use the key in the door or button (mine does v920)
Depending on the model there may be a programming dongle sensor in the back of the glove box.
You may have been given some dongles to program it, if not, forget it. Nobody supports it.
The alarm siren and alarm ECU on mine is located under the LH front wing, tucked up as close to the door pillar as possible (unplugged).

As mentioned it usually gets unplugged as it tends to get flakey as the ultrasonic and separate movement/tilt sensors (under gearstick console), door, bonnet etc switches get older. Simply unplugging it should disable it without removing any other car functions ie. Immobiliser, central locking..

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Alfa156Melb1

Most of your questions have been answered but to clarify:

Photo # 2 in your first post is the mist sensor for the auto windscreen demist function... One of the best features of the car IMO.. in 8 years I've never had a foggy windscreen - priceless.  :-*

Photo # 3 is the rain sensor for the auto wipers.