Accidentally added oil stabilzer to fuel tank!!!

Started by jimay3677, September 09, 2014, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

Don't ask how I grabbed the wrong bottle. Should I syphone it out?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

What type of fuel, diesel?
What type/brand of stabiliser?

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

jimay3677

Jts 2.0 petrol. Wynns engine tune up/ oil stabilizer.  The wynns site says it should be fine and I have also added injector cleaner and octane boost to try offset it

jimay3677

I still don't know how I looked at the bottles to be sure I got the right one then ended up with the wrong one

colcol

I would keep topping up the tank everyday to shandy the oil 2 stroke mixture down, last thing a JTS needs is to blow more oily smoke out the tailpipe!
Why are you using oil stabiliser anyway?
This sort of thing happens more than you would think....according to a mechanic friend, washer fluid in brake cylinder, engine oil in auto tranny, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

This ?

http://www.wynns.net/pdf/msds/51523-Engine-Tune-Up-Oil-Stabiliser-MSDS.pdf

If the Wynns technical line (1800 177 989) have said no worries, I'd just be following colcol's advice and topping up regularly for a while. Actually, having read the ingredients I personally wouldn't worry a zot, sounds like you just made some two stroke BUT i am NOT a petro-chemist.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it and we all make mistakes, great topic for a thread really.  I changed some perfect big end bearings once and it turned out to be a blocked fuel return line :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

jimay3677

Col I intended to put injector cleaner in but grabbed the stabilizer by mistake.  Thanks everyone.   I was quite stressed about it.