More bad advice

Started by bendover, September 09, 2014, 07:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

I have been told that its not my plugs but either one of these.

The throttle body needs cleaning, no idea where that is or the MAF needs cleaning, know where that is.

I have had so much advice about the engine surge in my 147 that i just want to curl up or go to the pub, the later my be the answer.

After speaking to a number of mechanics, none can give me answer as nothing comes up as a warning. I have been told by them its one or the other of the problems, but which is a mystery.

So i want to clean the throttle body, if only i knew where it was. Will clean the MAF tomorrow, but honestly guys, im starting to give up on this car.

105gta

At the risk of sounding rude, if you don't know what the throttle body is then then I can highly recommend you don't touch something as sensitive and delicate as the MAF.
Perhaps take it somewhere that has the experience with your model.
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Craig_m67

Do not under any circumstances try and clean the MAF. You could easily destroy it.
Even the plug is fiddly so be careful.
Simply unplug it to see if it makes a difference.  Tell us what happens.

You need to start one thread where everybody can help you, methodically, work through the issues.
You should list what you have done already
What changes occurred when you did this
What the current symptoms are and
What error codes the ECU is currently sending

These cars are not complicated NOR are they much different from any other car on the road today. Unfortunately most dealer mechanics will simply replace stuff (not fix it) until it solves an apparent problem, they are not going to think about it too much.  Costs money. That's the bit you have to do.

We can help

Describe the surge; revs, load, hot/cold, gear
Why do you consider the surge wrong?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Post it in the 147-156-166-GT-GTV section as this is General Discussion.
Go through your problems one by one and don't guess or try to fix 10 problems at once.
If you ruin the MAF, then a new one will cost you a few hundred $$$.
See you in the appropriate section, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]