error code 340 doin me nut in. :o(

Started by bloomers1176, September 25, 2014, 10:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloomers1176

Hello guys.

Right this sodden code has come back to haunt me like so many codes on our chosen toys.

Error code: 340 generic crankshaft position sensor A bank 1 circuit malfunction.

So swapped out the crankshaft sensor (no mean feat, hand still hurts).  Its popped up again.

some of you (nod to Col) already know my woes. But I have a 2003 156 JTS.

I cant seem to identify the switch in the engine bay responsible for tallying up with the crank sensor. I I mean circuit malfunction? is it the whole loom gone to rats and requires changing over?

I still worry that the garage that the previous guy took it too shortly before me buying it replaced the cam position sensor.

Q: would my U480 (can OBDII/EOBDII memo scanner) throw a "crankshaft pos sensor" and possible mean the "cam position sensor"? (The instruction book is pretty clear for a Chinese product) But It nags me to think its reading it wrong. The "cam pos sensors" are higher numbered error codes.

The car stutters when the code throws up. I even think a rut in the road kicked it on the other day. paranoid?

Any ideas?

Cheers  ..................... Bloomers

Cool Jesus

Dude, either get the multiecuscan software or fork out the $50 odd bucks with an Alfa mech to hook up their Alfa diagnostic to pinpoint the error code. Your only going to do your head in chasing sensors. It looks like your in Brisbane, surely someone on here can help out with MES if you don't have it. Maybe even jump onto ausalfa forum to see if you could visit someone with MES.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Mate, the P0340 error is the camshaft sensor, not crank shaft. Being intermittent would lead me to think of a loose connexion or a worn wire grounding. Here's the very first website that came up on a 340 error. Ode search
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bloomers1176

Yeah your probably right. Odd that this bloody book says crankshaft.  ???

Will look at tightening a few things up.

It aint easy.

Cheers.

Cool Jesus

Typos happen, (correct me if I'm wrong) but we re talking about Chinese quality control  ::)

It's not say your OBD code reader is of no use though. Obd software is standardised, but I'd bookmark an OBD website or download the error codes from a website that has user input to correct 'typos'. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll sort the sensor out now.

PS, if the sensor is where I think it is and needs replacing, you should contemplate doing the timing belts (or is yours a chain). Anyhow, it may require a bit of work to just replace it, so may as well take advantage of that labour cost and perform any other necessary work while the front is exposed.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mick A

Yep you need to remove the exhaust camshaft pulley to get it out.