ECU scanners, what is the recommendation?

Started by Thevak, September 26, 2014, 08:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thevak

I am hoping there are enough alfistis out their with ecu scan experience. My questions are
Which interface model for price and functionality?
Which software is best to gather basic data or upgraded to for advanced?
What is a FES and it is needed,recommended?
Is linking to a smartphone ok is computer linked the recommended?
Where can it be best purchased from?

Lots of questions, but if you are using a system that you are happy with tell me about it.

Cheers Anthony
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI

colcol

Scotty Kilmer, the youtube mechanic doesn't like Bluetooth scanners that work with phones as it throws up too many errors.
You need to get a scanner that will do Engine, Anti Lock Brakes, Stabilty Control and Airbags.
I would be interested in which Scanner works on all these as well.
You will need a scanner that diagnoses systems with CANBUS wiring systems, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

It's multiecuscan (MES) now, not FES. It's a software package for the laptop and absolutely worth it's value and highly recommend it for any Alfa owner. Plenty of functions, many of which you won't find on a generic scanner. Ive always preferred wired connections with any electronics, however I do believe bluetooth connection is possible via the relevant obd module. The cable set I have is all ill ever need for my current and future Alfas. Not only that, I can also obtain a generic obd program and use the same cables for other marques, such as my jeeps.
All up cost for a registered MES and cables should be around $150. Or if your after something very basic, use the free MES version and cables are about $60.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS