STOOPID QUESTION#40079

Started by bendover, October 02, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

Ok im not bright when it comes fixing things.

I was checking the plugs with the engine warm and noticed a couple of the offending plugs were not tight enough. I put them in cold before.

My Stoopid questions is this, could this cause the oil to come into the pots, rather than a stuffed rocker gasket.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Cool Jesus

Love, how much oil are we talking about here?
And don't over tighten them, tighten to torque on a cold engine. If it's stl warm, torque to spec then re torque when engine is cold. Remember, it's an alloy he'd and you will strip the threads.

Baz, excuse my noobiness here, but what oil would eminate from a loose spark plug? I'd only expect poor performance from lowered compression and exhaust/comprsession gasses to escape. I can imagine a small amount past the rings, however if it isn't burnt during combustion it would be hardly noticable.

Oh yeah Love, throughout your dilemmas, I don't think anyone has pointed out how important your oil level is in these motors. Keep an eye on oil consumption and it's imperative it's kept at level.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bazzbazz

Cool is 100% right about being diligent in regards to oil levels, check every time you fill her up.

Cool, in regards to your "most less than newbness" question about the oil, it depends on -

A/ HOW loose the plugs were
B/ HOW long they have been so
C/ And the general overall condition of the motor.

If all the oil were burnt off in the combustion we would never have "Damp" plugs now, would we  ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au