Bloody cooling system... aargh!

Started by poohbah, October 28, 2014, 02:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

What a fortnight. Having just shelled out "a lot" for front suspension arms, CV boots, rear brakes, centre muffler, assorted electrical items and normal service a few days ago, I had to get my V6 156 towed back to the workshop after overheating on my way to work this morning.

Seems a bit of a mystery - I was stopped at lights and felt slightly rough idle, then noticed the temp gauge had passed 90 and was nearing the three quarter mark. By the time lights changed and I could pull into a side street, it was well on the way to HOT.

Popped the lid, couldn't see any obvious signs of leaking coolant or steam, nor anything in the reservoir, though as soon as I took off the cap, steam and coolant spat out at me. When I tried to top it up from my spare coolant bottle, it spat that back at me too.

I was initially terrified I might have done a head gasket, though I couldn't see any steam, bubbling, or leaking around the head or any obvious signs of water in the oil.

Waiting to hear the prognosis. Hopefully it's just a leak somewhere I couldn't see it and nothing bad (and expensive) ...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Cool Jesus

I'm sure it's just a split hose somewhere. Visibility is a premium with the jussi shoehorned in there. Perceiver mate, remember your quote about Alfas being like beer  8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

poohbah

Thank you Jesus (always makes me laugh saying that) - for reminding me of why I love my Alfa.

Just hope it is a split hose somewhere. Was planning on joining the rest of the local chapter at the annual Italian Car Day here in Perth on the weekend. Will be devastated if I can't.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Just had the call. Small hole in oil cooler hose. Huzzah!

Now I can enjoy (sort of) playing with the 156 loaner they gave me for the day.

First time I've driven a Selespeed. Don't really think its for me. Auto mode is awful, and the manual changes aren't what I'd call smooth.
            1981 GTV