to obd or not obd

Started by cc, December 03, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi
Am contemplating the misfiring 156 V6 2002 build in the garage and how to speak to the ecu of the 32401 engine.
While cars 'sold in Europe' were eodb compliant, after reading some of the glm software web site (www.glmsoftware.com) its possible that some alfa's in Aussie  aren't compliant. As Australia's odb legislation wasn't enacted til 2006.
The reason for this thread is that the obdlink sx connector between the laptop & the port in the car isn't connecting with the ecu.
So Im wondering whether to return the obdlink sx to the Canberra distributor. Then buy the connector recommended by glm... Which is still no fix if my alfa is a Greta Garbo case (I just want to be alone).
Ive read a post on the forum by 'cool Jesus' who has had success with multiecuscan available in the uk..

So the web site of the uk supplier was checked out for multiecuscan (the  name of the software that runs on the laptop) & noticed that they recommend the obdlink sx connector...

Doing some wider reading/trawling the failure of some obd connectors is due to the chinese 'clone' of the original (& still used ) microprocessor called an elm327, which is made in the uk.

Does any of this sound familiar? If you have successfully obd communicated with your 156 preferably a V6 with the 32401 cf2 engine ( with the 2.1 motronic ecu I think) please share!
cheers

cc

At the insistence of the offspring, a local auto electrician was called to help diagnose the misfire.
The misfire is not a window rattling explosion that can be heard down the bottom of the street. More a soft woof of a friendly dog that doesn't want to wake the baby. Or a muffled pop of a champagne cork from a bottle gone 1/2 flat. Or the scoff from the back of the throat of a female who doesn't believe you can successfully heal an ailing Alfa, an Alfa cast aside by the previous owner as irredeemable. Can an Alfa come back from a failed relationship?

The backfire seems at times to come from every cylinder also. As an aside, have  been advised backfiring can be very harmful to the throttle body and to the  air flow meter. So when first hearing it the engine was shut down immediately.
The car has just had the timing & serpentine belt replaced (done in car! by self & offspring, the front bank was about 10-30 degrees out) and still didnt have everything buttoned down eg torqueing down the nut for the harmonic balancer on the end of the crankshaft.
Also significantly re the backfiring,the steel 'clic' clamps sealing the six inlet pipes to their rubber cuffs that then are 'clic' clamped to the Aluminium inlet manifold hadnt been tightened as the correct tool is yet to be bought. It turned out to be fortuitous not tightening the 'clics' as some of the force from the gentle back fires would kick the rubber cuffs back a little & the offspring could see in the early evening gloom, the glow from the back fires flame lighting the edge of the rubber cuff! Every one would light up.

So the auto leccie arrives, 5 years experience. At first attempt, was unable to communicate with the ecu when identifying to the instrument it was a 2002 V6 156. Was successful after selecting by the eodb protocol and not the vehicle type. (sorry have forgotten the make of the reader)

Was expecting a list of digital trouble codes as the engine light was on; an icon of a fuel injector.  Blow me down, not one! He then did a clear DTC function thru the instrument. So I dont know if the now absent engine light was already gone before he connected..

He then tested the power with a trouble light from the car batteries negative terminal to the socket of all the fuses on the fuse block that sits on the battery. No issues.

Next is where sheer persistence pays off.
As the auto leccie would start the car, let it run with the misfire for a few seconds, shut it down then try it again.
Several attempts later, the car made a sound that it probably hadn't done since before it had been sold to an auto wreckers with the word DEAD written in yellow marker pen on the timing belt cover by one of the denizens of the wreckers yard.
The sound of a smooth idle. A little tackety from the injectors, maybe a little rumbly from the water pump. But definitely the purr of an engine that has had the thorn pulled out of one of its golden paws. I didn't immediately recognize it, having not heard it before. I turned to share the moment with the offspring.

Curiously 3 out of 4 times it will still start & run with the misfire. So will fit a 'facet' brand, crank angle sensor from the Spare Place tomorrow. on the fourth start have run the engine up to 2,500 rpm so far, just sounds wonderful. Still to do is repair the drivers mirror, which has lost its  detent when bumped. Also source the strap for the battery, the old ones rotted thru. Also need the rubber cuff between the air flow meter and the hard black plastic pipe above it in the induction circuit.

So the Alfa is still in the garage/cave, but looking out onto the road. If it was a women she would have a certain look in her eye.

Mick A

An ELM327 16pin to USB should work fine.

bazzbazz

I have the rubber cuff if you want it ?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

I can also most likely get your OBD connector working.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au