Whats wrong with Selespeed

Started by bendover, September 02, 2014, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

I get the impression that people tend to think this is just like any other auto car and thats when the problems start.

I have done a fair bit of reading on this subject and from what i can tell, you drive them slightly differently to an ordinary automatic, am i right.

BMW ,and others who have a similar system, also recommed not driving them like a regular auto, as these will break down if not driveng correctly.

So whats the answer. I know that a load of people complain about the selespeed, but why. If its good enough for F1, wht not for Alfa.

aggie57

Yeah, you do drive them a bit differently to automatic's but IMHO when you do that you may as well drive a proper manual. 

Even modern twin-clutch units (and I mean the very best of them like the PDK in Stuttgart's finest) don't drive as smoothly as a full slush-box auto.  Victor may care to comment on that withhis Mary's nice new Macan in the driveway.  That has the very latest spec PDK on board.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

sportyone

selespeed is not an automatic transmission !

it's an automatic clutch,  no torque converter, same gear box as a manual, just the clutch is automatic.

a properly setup one will change gears far faster than you could ever do with a manual clutch !

the reason people have problems with them is they try drive them

as you would a manual and try punch through the gears, instead of a light flick !  :)

Bruce Fowler

Nothing wrong with Selespeeds I loved my 2002, 156 sports, quick slick gear changing, and a joy to drive on many an Early Morning Run, or just around the suburbs.

It lasted for 12 years with 165k on the clock, had it serviced ever twelve months, and topped it up with fluid ever six months, until it needed fluid every couple of weeks.

Then after a $5,000 repair bill,  that only produced more problems a month later (my fault for nominating second hand parts) I traded my 156 in for $3,500 on a 159 manual.

That is whats wrong with the selespeed.

Its amazing how much pain we are prepared to endure for the love of an Alfa.
Current
2018 Giulia Super Veloce Pack

Previous
2009 JTS 2.2 159
2002 156 Selespeed Sports

lombardi

Life was not meant to be easy, i can vouch for that having owned many Alfa's, but the reward's keep u coming back for more, a lifetime of passion and headaches.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999