Mounting historic plates on a Sud

Started by DAMO1A, November 16, 2014, 01:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAMO1A

Hello all

I have recently transferred to historic plates for my Sud.  Why do they make historic plates a different size to regular plates? 

I am faced with the prospect of drilling more holes in the Sud to mount the plates and being left with the four original plate holes.  Has anyone come up with an alternative way uses the existing holes and avoids drilling?  Perhaps some sort of backing or mount?

(the plate in the photo is only stuck on with some rubber gum)

Thanks
Damian
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

Craig_m67

On my junior (which is in storage, otherwise I'd photograph it for you) there was a simple flat bar that the plate was bolted to. The bar was then fixed to the car (bumper) with a counter sunk screw and a few washers on the back to allow space for the plate nuts. 

I didn't realise it was even their until I went to remove the plates.

If that's all too difficult, what's wrong with good double sided tape, the stuff from 3M for badges etc.?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

rowan_bris

I used double sided tape on my Lotus without issue

colcol

You could put some countersunk screws in the existing holes and some furniture snap caps, so you are blanking them off or some trim clips with a christmas tree mounts, you can buy the christmas tree type trim clips at Repco and the furniture snap caps at Bunnings.
I would want to mount the number plates with fasteners, as number plate theft is a problem, with crooks stealing number plates to steal petrol, you could use some one way screws, so that they screw in one way, but are difficult, but not impossible to unscrew, having said that, i pop rivetted my number plates on.
The blank screw holes really spoil the look of your car, my 156 had pre drilled holes for the larger European type number plates, and when they put the Aussie number plates on, there were blank holes, looked like someone had drilled the holes in the wrong spot!.
Ended up putting parking sensors in where the holes had been drilled, why the hell can't countries agree on a standard size number plate?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

sportyone

Hahaha, no thanks, take a look at what the UK have ? They are about 1/2 mtr long, car makers would have to almost redesign the car just to fit them. lol

have you seen the UK motorcycle plates :)

Just put a nicely finished backing plate on, room also for a AROCA badge  :)

Cool Jesus

I too was thinking some good double sided tape as they do in the UK.
I really like sporty's touch with the Aroca decal beside the plate too.

Actually, on a side note in risking the hijacking of this thread, has Aroca ever had metal club grill/bumper badges?

Can we look into it perhaps, especially for the historic vehicles?
I'd certainly consider grabbing a few.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

DAMO1A

Thanks to all. Some great suggestions. I think I will try blanking out the original holes and then using some double sided tape.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

colcol

I did have another thought bubble, you could patch over the existing screw holes with some quick set araldite, smooth it over when it dries and put some matt black plastic covering over the number plate area and then drill new screw holes for the new number plate.
The plastic self adhesive would most likely be purchased at Bunnings, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]