2001 Spider convertible - foggy/hard to see out of rear window

Started by sidee, April 30, 2008, 06:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidee

hey guys,

just wondering if anyone knows of a good way to clear up my back windscreen. the clear plastic has gotten really hard to see out of. in fact, i can barely see at all! any ideas on how to get it clear again? can the plastic be replaced? i noticed for the first time that it unzips and folds down, but it is attached along the bottom.
ive tried windex and that hasnt worked.

any help would be appreciated.

Joe Garra

The windows were really bad. I'm sure when my back window was slashed, they just unzipped it and replaced it. I then got it in the habit of half folding the roof, hopping out of the car, creasing the window in the middle and then continue with the folding. Eventually it would just fold in the middle - that way I only had one crease. I traded it 5 years ago on a 156 wagon. we now have a 159 wagon (to go with my old 164Q)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Gary Pearce

The soft perspex rear windows are easily replaced by any good motor trimmer. My local trimmer replaces the glass for about $250 provided you do the dismantle work first. Having said that, the old plastics can be improved a bit by aggressive polishing.
Car polish and even cutting compound (or tooth paste) can often make a difference. If you are using a buffing machine you have to be very careful to run it at low speed for fear of burning the plastic. Try it by hand first, you don't have much to loose.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

SUBIT0

I used to own a 98 spider with the exact same problem. I tried cleaning it with special plastic scratch remover and it helped about 50% better and lasted too. I did eventually replace it though when it was slashed but opted to go for the $500 option as it was better quality plastic (Thicker and more scratch resistant) as I knew a guy who changed his for $300 but after putting the roof up and down a few times it would actually stay really creased for a long period of time. Id first try the plastic cleaner as it is only worth $20 and is the cheapest option.