Colin Bond

Started by colcol, November 17, 2014, 09:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Next Wednesday at 11 am on digital station 7 mate, the Shannons Legends of Motorsport have Colin Bond as their special Guest.
Colin drove a GTR LC Torana to Victory in the 1969 Bathurst 500, his only Bathurst victory.
He also drove Alfa Romeo's between 1982-1990.
He drove in Serious Destruction, [series production], in the early years in the Alfasud trophy series, driving a Sud and piloting a Alfetta GTV 6 in production car racing.
Then he moved on to Group A Touring cars driving a Luigi Racing GTV 6, then moving on to a Alfa 75 1.8 turbo.
Along the way he returned to his true love of rallying a GTV 6, which set the record for the last 2 wheel drive rally car to win a race.
Hopefully there won't be too much appalling Mike Raymond commentry to put up with and they don't talk too much about racing Holdens and Fords, to appeal to the GM vs Ford bogan racing.
Kevin Bartlett was on a few weeks ago and they spent most of the time talking about that channel 9 Camaro, not one mention of winning the Sandown 500 with Frank Gardiner in a Guilia Super or something like that with a 4 cylinder.
If you miss it, keep your eyes peeled on the Electronic Program Guide, as they are repeating a few at the Moment, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

datwazclose

Christ or bloody mighty is it possible for you to NOT slag off at every chance you get!! FAAAAAAAArk!

l have seen the Bondy episode you mentioned, it's a great look back, plenty of Alfa GTV6, the 75turbo leading a race and looking brilliant.

http://www.shannons.com.au/club/video/colin-bond-episode-11-shannons-legends-of-motorsport/ 

colcol

Sorry, my mistake, Bondy drove a Holden Monaro to victory in 1969, at least i remembered the correct year!.
In my opinion Mike Raymond was the worst motorsport commentator of all time, he used to use his position to promote all his Speedways in the 7 'Motorsport wrap' segment.
The host of the Shannons legents of Motorsport, Neil Crompton is absolutely world class, as is Mark Skaife and Mark Larcombe, it will be interesting to see where all the commentators end up next year when it goes on to channel 10 / foxtel, Mathew White jumped ship earlier in the year, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Anthony Sharp

Col, your memory is slipping, while Bondy did win the Aust Rally Sprint Championship two years running in the Group A GTV6 race car he never ran a Rally in it. It was Greg (Rex De) Carr who won the last Major Rally and Championship in a two wheel drive, well up until the banning in recent times of 4wd in some major national series around the world. 

colcol

My memory burnt out a long time ago, but there is talk in rally circles of a return to 4 wheel drive cars that are more spectacular and faster than the current crop of 2 wheel drive front wheel drive cars that are more aligned with standard road cars that the general public can relate to.
Good to see a new Guilietta running in the Australian Rally Championship, but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting.
Rally Organisers need to run their events that don't clash with V8 Touring car events that will always get the publicity, Colin.