Special editions Alfa Romeo's

Started by colcol, December 28, 2014, 12:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

As a car tragic, i received car books for xmas, one of them is 'Total Leadfoot' by Tony Davis of the various books on dodgy cars called 'Lemons'.
This book is about Motoring backfires, Burnouts, Rattletraps and Rarities.
On the subject of Special Editions, the Alfa Romeo 147 comes under the spotlight, with the, Alfa Romeo 147 Ducati Corse - A Ducati co branded Alfa Hatch attempting to share the glory of Casey Stoner's MotoGP World Championship victory, it had a diesel engine and came out the year when Stoner didn't win.
Cars named after racers,
Alfa Romeo Spider Niki Lauda - A 1978 effort with crook-looking stickers all over it.
Because Alfa never sleeps [or was that something else?], it also did a Mario Andretti Signiture Edition GTV Coupe.
In fairness, most special editions come after the year of a championship win, as the championship is not wrapped up until the end of the year.
I think the 'Alfa never sleeps' reference, could be a reference to the Neil Young song 'rust never sleeps.
Very entertaining book, much better than the book i got a few years ago on 'Mustangs', yes uncle col is a car person, he would luv a book on his least favourite car in the world, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

aggie57

Hey Col - I got a book on NZ muscle car collections. Pretty cool - the garages that is, not so much the cars. We get to see that sort of thing all the time at the track an on runs but we hetdly ever get to see other guys garages.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

Alfa Romeo also built the Renault Dauphine under licence between 1959 and 1964 in Portello, Milan.
Differences with the French Renault were electrical, Magnetti Marelli sourced parts, 12 volts, special lights, and the logo 'Dauphine Alfa Romeo', for the standard model and 'Ondine Alfa Romeo', for the upmarket version.
Discovered this when looking at parts on ebay in America, thought it was a mistake, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]