Flash Bars ?

Started by sportyone, December 02, 2014, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportyone

Some of you may have seen these at Sundays AROCA Spettacolo.

I have wanted to get some flash bars as I call them to fit up behind the seat so I can add a better wind deflector. The bars to buy from the odd supplier are unfortunately way too expensive. So l decide to design & fabricate some myself. here are a couple images of them fitted in, but without the wind deflector so far. Took these quik pics on Sunday at the AROCA Spettacolo in Melbourne.

I think they look quite good, sort of suit the car, powder coated in Silvar Pearl.

Cool Jesus

They look pretty damn professional. I toyed with the idea also, but held back due to cost v need. I take it they're just cosmetic, so installation would be simple. Wind diffuser is another item I'm also on the look out for. Again cost is a little steep (but not prohibitive) for what it is, so trying to find time to fabricate my own. Not sure what you've come across, but from what I can tell the rear stow area will need to also be blocked. That is, a diffuser only between the flash bars won't be effective?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

Actually still working out whether to span both hoops or just the centre section ?

thinking of either clear acrylic or *pet mesh ?    *that's a heavy duty fibreglass flywire sort of stuff ?

what do you mean "the stow area would need to be blocked" ?

I have already made an acrylic wind deflector which worked well, before l made these,

may use something similar.

l have already posted on one of the forums just what l did & used for that !

thanks

Cool Jesus

Yeah, look I might just be talking out of my backside as I have no real experience with the diffusers. However, most, if not all that I've seen, block off the area behind the seats (stow area). You've had a good result with just the one screen, I can only imagine wind turbulence would e further reduced if that area was also blocked off. The image is just a generic example, but if you search wind diffusers, you'll see what I mean. Either the stow area is also screened or there is no area behind the seats and is hard body shell etc. The diffusers that have the mesh just between the seats/flash bars  8), you'll find that the seat or bar complete the screening.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS