rear view mirror damage

Started by lombardi, December 08, 2014, 06:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

Reversing my 75 out of the garage i accidently clipped my sons beema passenger side rear view mirror,did not take much force to break, its a clen break and wires are intact, don't want to replace the whole thing as it probably cost a bomb,tried to glue it together,even tried rapid fix to no avail,anyone has had experience and success in this process, and yes of course the 75 mirror does not even have a scratch,they were good at Arese. thanks
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Cool Jesus

I don't know if jk is having a dig or not, but anyways. Is the mirror body all plastic?
Do you own a soldering iron?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

DHDamo

I used devcon (2part metal putty) on the gtv mirror. Cost about 40 bucks i think and has handled half a dozen trackdays, general driving and a few bumps on the way past in the garage in the last year. The outer of mine is plastic but has a metal ball and socket type deal inside which i essentially bonded solid. Cant tell from the outside but if needed can be sanded and painted like normal metal once dry. Worked for me. Adjustment is well. . . . Compromised  8)
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

jazig.k

haha, no, not having a dig. These would actually be cheap compared to most commodore mirrors I think.

colcol

Q Bond is quite good at repairing plastic crap in cars and it sets quick, no waiting 24 hours like araldite, you glue it together with the glue and when it bonds, usually within a minute, you sprinkle the reinforcement powder and a bit more glue and wait for it to dry, but do it outdoors, as the fumes given off during the reaction process causes you to tear up, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

LukeC

How was the Beema?

The only excuse I have for touching my wife's Beemer is washing it...  >:(

Seriously, I have thrown a couple of sets of 75 mirrors out: broke my heart!
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au