TS motronic wont rev past 5000

Started by Divano Veloce, December 11, 2014, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divano Veloce

Hi All,

im preparing a TS for Broadford and it doesnt want to rev much past 5000 rpm. Around 5000-5500 it starts to ping fantastically and looses all power. Up to 5000 its running better than ever. It hasnt always done this and it will do it with any fuel. Plugs and leads are new, fuel filter is new.

Please state the obvious and obscure likely causes and remedies!

Cheers,

Matt
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Divano Veloce

I have a second TS i can pilfer parts off if need be for fault finding...
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

jazig.k

Can you check the timing while revving up to the problem area, make sure nothing odd is happening there?

Divano Veloce

Alas i have no timing light.. Might be able to borrow one tomorrow and investigate. Good suggestion.

I may have read something about the CAS and/or its wiring playing up. Is there a way to test this?
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Mick A

Duk

Quote from: Divano Veloce on December 11, 2014, 09:29:16 PM
Alas i have no timing light.. Might be able to borrow one tomorrow and investigate. Good suggestion.

I may have read something about the CAS and/or its wiring playing up. Is there a way to test this?

You can't change the timing on the Motronic run engines.
The crank angle sensor is fixed in place and moving the distributors around means nothing other than potentially having the ignition lead post (in the distributor cap) in the wrong place when the rotor button travels past.
Make sure you have at least 95 octane fuel in the tank. Other than that, it's time to start fault finding.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

jazig.k

I have a timing light you could borrow. Only a cheapie but it works last time I used it... If i'm working tomorrow I can bring it to Castlemaine.

GTVeloce

The crank angle sensor can be easily tested. Just pull the lead off and measure the resistance across the two leads. From memory it should be about 900ohms. It must be getting power to it or the engine wouldn't run at all. Check it is reasonably clear of gunk too that might be interfering with the signal and that it is within 1mm (IIRC) of the pulley.

Like choderboy said, I would be leaning toward the air flow meter or a part of the basic ignition system. Checking the timing won't hurt but I doubt that is what is causing it given the engine runs well below 5k. However, the other parts of the ignition system could be failing at high rpm although given that it runs two systems effectively makes me think it is further up stream. Easy to check; disconnect one of the coil leads and see what happens then reverse.

Given you have a spare, an AFM swap would be a very quick test...

Mick A

Forget the timing light please. You don't need it.

Also crank angle sensor is unlikely to be the cause of this fault. They generally simply stop working when they get hot.

AikenDrum105

you could check the VVT wiring and relay - the connectors on the VVT itself are notorious for temp-cycling loose (and getting covered in oil)  which might cause an issue at higher RPM...   

You could also try running the car on just one coil (and 4 plugs)  at a time, in case you're getting spark breakdown or leak at higher rpm on one dizzy stuffing things up.  While doing 105 / 116 conversions I've come across a *lot* of twinsparks with one or two dizzies leaking spark through the rotor button to the shaft...   They're usually glued on so are a break-off-and-glue-new-one-on  proposition.

Good luck !

Cheers,

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Mick A

Yes I agree definitely check the dizzy caps and rotor buttons.

I thought in the first post he said these were new but I re read and I see just plugs and leads sorry.

Duk

Quote from: GTVeloce on December 12, 2014, 11:27:45 AM
The crank angle sensor can be easily tested. Just pull the lead off and measure the resistance across the two leads. From memory it should be about 900ohms. It must be getting power to it or the engine wouldn't run at all. Check it is reasonably clear of gunk too that might be interfering with the signal and that it is within 1mm (IIRC) of the pulley.

The Motronic CAS are Variable Reluctor and don't have any power sent to them. They are excited by each of the passing teeth and give off an AC signal as a result.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

bowds116

Mine did something similar, new fuel filter fixed it. Also check the earth leads to the cam cover.
current : 1980 Alfetta GTV 116 (w/TS running gear)
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

Divano Veloce

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have changed out the AFM but have not tested it yet... Car is otherwise good to go. I'll fill it up with 98 and let you all know how it goes tomorrow
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Divano Veloce

Thanks everyone for your help on this problem. Swapping out the AFM has fixed it.
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD