Top Gear: The Perfect Road Trip 2 - Amalfi Coast with 1960s Alfa Romeos

Started by Evan Bottcher, January 10, 2015, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Great Ocean Road, was full of potholes, the last time the club went for a run along there, poor old 33 broke a front suspension on the potholes, it would be best on a early Saturday morning, a few money camera's along the way to spoil any fun, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Quote from: LaStregaNera on January 12, 2015, 11:28:23 AM
I did Amalfi by Alfa a couple of years ago - rented a 1963 Giulietta Spider. Was terriffic. Lovely little car - heroic little single carb 1300...

Really.. Got a link/memory for the rental?

We stayed in Minori (on Amalfi coast) for three weeks a few years back, had a new Fiat500 as a rental. Fantastic fun. I want to go back!
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

LaStregaNera

http://www.zephyrus-classic-car-rental.com/classic-car-hire-italy/index.php/en/

There's a couple of classic rental joints, but this is the one we used. Picked it up outside the train station in Chiusi in Tuscany, and one of their staff collected it from our hotel in Rome. Was great fun blasting around Tuscany, was happy enough on the Autostrada running down past Naples, and just lovely around Amalfi. Got plenty of thumbs up from people too.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

sportyone

Quote from: LaStregaNera on January 12, 2015, 11:28:23 AM
I did Amalfi by Alfa a couple of years ago - rented a 1963 Giulietta Spider. Was terriffic. Lovely little car - heroic little single carb 1300...

fotos or it didn't happen  lol

LaStregaNera

Picking the car up in Chiusi

Somewhere in Tuscany (Montalcino? Montepulciano?).

Chasing a very slowly driven California up the hill to another medieval town in Tuscany - Cortona maybe? The driving gloves made excellent sense.

Parked outside our hotel in Sorrento

Positano:

Road to Amalfi

Time to say goodbye in Rome:

I don't have a photo of us being interrogated over an expired rego label by the Carabineri, submachine guns and all - although we do have a photo of that somewhere.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

FFS... To cool :)
Was it extraordinarily expensive (PM if you want)?

Just adding this to my todo list

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

pasey25

Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 13, 2015, 07:26:00 PM
FFS... To cool :)
Was it extraordinarily expensive (PM if you want)?

Just adding this to my todo list

It wasn't outrageous - I think they have their current pricing on their website somewhere - but I seem to remember it was ~1100euro for a week?
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

1750GTV

Maybe one day I'll get to drive my Giulietta Spider from Positano to Amalfi  :)

One can but dream ...

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

LaStregaNera

There are two cars I'd sell my GTV for - a Giulietta Spider, and a Montreal...

Would give my left nut for a Giulietta spider - they really are fantastic to drive. Utterly unfadeable drums (they squealed a bit when cold - which was all the time, except when I got a clean run on a mountainy bit - then they got up to temp, stopped squealing and were magnificent). Beautifully direct, communicative steering, willing, suprisingly torquey 1300, and it was amazing how much stuff you could load into it.

Suprisingly physical car to drive though - they feel an era older than a 105 behind the wheel - which is still lightyears ahead of anything else from the 60's and 70's i've driven.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

alfamisa

Wow great drive choice! If I'm not mistaken the Two Greedy Italians used the same hire car for one their shows.

When I saw the gloves (BTW they were a necessity on the shinny slippery and sometimes hot steering wheels of the day) you reminded me of the guy in this Italian movie...the Giulietta, the gloves...the gestures??? haha... ;D

http://youtu.be/OREhw9sCdbw?t=4m6s
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

LukeC

Spent 10 days in Praiano in September in 2013. Quieter town in between Positano and Amalfi (See photo). The villa had views of Capri when Positano was in the shadows. Every evening we would sit on our balcony watching the sun set over Capri drinking the local red.

We did not have a classic Alfa, but an Alfa it was (Giulietta TD 2.0). A bit big for the roads around there, but a good drive. We drove all the way from Nerano (Western tip of the Amalfi penninsula) to Salerno and up onto the plateau behind to Bomerano (couple of close shaves, but the only damage was some gutter rash from my left hand drive parking exploits).

It is spectacular drive (particularly the stretch going into Positano from the west), but far from relaxing... You will rarely exceed 60 km/h, and be regularly be passed by swarms of teens in singlets on Vespas: plus lots of other tourists crawling along.

What few people talk about is the absolutely spectacular walking in the hills behind. We walked up 600 m vertical to the plateau one day for the "Walk of the Gods". Awesome, apart from a close encounter with one dodgey dude that I think was the Amalfi "Man with Axe".

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Craig_m67

My fav memories of the drive are the short busses.. Flat out, lean on the horn before a blind corner and just keep going.  The walks in the mountains were amazing as were the people - defo going back. Quite like Cinqueterre for walking too (no cars).

1750GTV

The town of Amalfi - from my 2007 trip to Italy.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV