Sud bonnet stay

Started by colcol, February 28, 2015, 09:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

The Alfasud bonnet stay is a piece of plastic crap that is prone to breaking.
If it breaks or there is a large gusty wind the bonnet will act as a sail and hit you on the head, if you are under the bonnet if you are lucky or go forwards and bend down over the grille if you are unlucky and crease the bonnet and ruin it.
This happened to me a few years ago, on Melbourne's highest wind day according to the weather forcasters.
The accelerator cable had just broken, 10 years after we lashed it up at Winton, as a get you home repair, then it broke, who is to blame?, me because i didn't fix it.
So here i am, gone up to Repco at lunch time and now i have got a broken cable and a damaged bonnet, good Sud bonnets dent and rust free are like rocking horse droppings.
So to fix this bonnet stay problem, get a metal bonnet rod off a 33 and a bonnet stay off a 33 that is made of metal and the rod kind of clips in the stay, so it stays there as the name suggests until you unhook it and it will stay there in high winds.
You will need to drill a couple of holes in the bonnet to fit the 33 stay and a couple of holes in the inner mudgaurd pressing to fit the rod out of the 33.
Go to a wrecker like Monza Motors in Bayswater, Victoria, as i am sure you can't buy them new.
Do it on Monday, before its too late, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

sudseeker

No doubt timely advice.Mine has what looks like a cupboard latch attached to the bonnet which the stay sort of fits into.I'd better get cracking on that job too....