A light came on..!

Started by Kulwinder, March 25, 2015, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulwinder

Hi there
This light came on twice for couple of seconds, while I was standing on traffic tight on the way home yesterday. It came once and disappeared soon then again after few minutes and quickly I took photo of it.
What is this light for.?

Kulwinder Singh

poohbah

That light indicates one of your light globes has blown. Maybe a headlight, parking light, reversing light or indicator.

Just hope its not a front parking light globe - they are absolute pains in the a$$ to replace...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Kulwinder

Really? I was thinking to replace them with led T10 globes.

poohbah

I can't really provide any advice on fitting LEDs, as I haven't tried it.

Regardless, do a check of all your lights to make sure you know which globe has actually blown. The easiest ones to replace are rear indicators and reversing globes. Front parkers are a real pain (search this forum for the topic, it's come up more than once). When replacing mainbeam and highbeam globes, its awkward fitting your fingers into the hole and undoing the clips, but easier once you have done it the first time.

I have just realised you said the light only came on briefly then went out again. That may mean the affected globe is working intermittently, so it may take you a few checks to identify which one is playing up.
            1981 GTV

Garibaldi

poohbah, you are right. I've replaced a few globes in my 147, you really have to be a contortionist to do it. I can't believe anyone would design something that's makes it that difficult to change them. :'(

poohbah

Having removed acres of skin and utilised years' worth of expletives trying to replace them in the past, when I blow a parking globe these days, I just ignore it until the car is due for a service, and let the mechanic do it...
            1981 GTV

colcol

Its good when its a rear number plate globe or tail light as they are a doddle.
If its the front, get some rubber gloves like some mechanics wear, to stop your hands getting cut.
No matter how many times i do it, the fronts are a pain, when pushing new globes home into the headlight, look at it through the headlight at the front for guidance, as it is hard to see from the back.
In a GTA, you have to take the front bumper off to change a globe, great bit of design work that.
I find my front globes blow first thing in the morning, i think cause the globes are cold and the alternator is putting out a million volts, the globes blow.
Then i have to put in a new globe before i go to work, making me late and in a bad mood for the rest of the day.
One day i will replace a globe in the Alfa 33 and see how it compares to the Fiat 156....Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

No matter how many times I do it, the fronts are a pain, when pushing new globes home into the headlight, look at it through the headlight at the front for guidance, as it is hard to see from the back.

Another handy thing to do if you are changing a front parking light globe is to switch it on as it helps you guide it back into the headlight. As Col said you have to look at it through the front of the headlight and relocate it from behind.

Kulwinder

Checked, all the globs are were working. Looks like one must be playing up. Will be blown soon.

Kulwinder Singh

Craig_m67

Photo looks to have been taken during the day, with no lights on?
Check your brake lamps, they're the only thing likely to have been lit.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Kulwinder

Yes. Normally this light comes on at traffic light. And goes off after few seconds or when I take off. Looks like that glob is playing yet. It were working when I checked all lights last time.

Kulwinder Singh

colcol

Looks like a dirty connector on the brake lights, much easier to work on than the front lights, also the number plate globes can play up as well, they are more exposed to the elements being on the back bumper bar, the spring clips can be a little weak and cause the globe holder assembly to fall out of the bumper bar, bend the clips out to make them a bit stronger, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Kulwinder

[emoji50]I didn't check rego lights. And also I will clean connectors. See if it will work.

Kulwinder Singh