Spare key and remote for 156

Started by Alfasam, April 02, 2015, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfasam

The open/lock door button on the key remote has passed away. I suspect the little microswitch is broken. Both original keys (which are the two button flip key type) now have this problem. My missus (aka princess) cant bring herself to unlock a door using the key and wants  to lock and unlock with a remote.

My latest investigations lead me to the conclusion that other than going through alfa, theres no other way to get a replacement key and remote. Further, removal and replacement of the microswiitch requires dexterity, skill and know how, all of which I lack. But I have been unable to find anyone locally that I feel comfortable with in doing the job.

So...

Ordering a new key, from italy, and getting it coded locally a dealer,  cost, about $380.  I dont find this price scary. It is less than the $500 for a new mazda 2 key with remote quoted for my daughters car. Nor is it anywhere near the $700 I have seen suggested in past posts as the price for a replacement key from alfa. Although I have found the cost of coding the key varies significantly from dealer to dealer.

I will also try getting my two keys repaired. Have found a mob in UK, Autotronics, who advise they can repair the remote for about $60 plus postage. I ill give this go, and hopefully, have a couple of woring spare keys and remotes.

The feedback, if any, on this topic will be interesting.

colcol

$380 for a remote is not too bad at all, you could try some independants such as Maranello Pursang Motors, Monza Motors, Ill Bolide Rossi, Alfamen, Mauceri Motors and even the new Alfa Romeo dealers and see what they come up with.
Also give a few Locksmiths a go, as this problem is not new anymore.
I went through this a few years ago with a Commodore and the differences between the dealers varied a lot, the same might be the same for Alfa Romeo's.
You could try sending your remote to the UK and see how it goes, and if ok, send the spare one.
Almost impossible to 'hotwire' a car these days for stealing it, so most car thieves break into the house and steal the remote keys hanging in the SPAM or where ever, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bazzbazz

Alfasam,

I am able to repair the keys for you, one of the things I do so often these days.
Cost is $60 including parts & mail.

Sent you a PM with my contact details.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

gt_hill

Hi Baz

I just bought my 156 and I'm having a similar issue with my remote.  I opened it up and found one of the micro switches missing so someone might have had a go at it previously.  Is this something you could sort out?