Spider opinions

Started by squidders, April 09, 2015, 09:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidders

Hi all,

Not wanting to start a flame or Alfa vs Fiat debate, just looking for opinions from members that have owned and or driven a Fiat spider and an Alfa spider. Any model type from early 70's to early 80's

What did you like or dislike about either or both, mechanical, ride, finish, sound, etc?

I am finding it hard to choose between the two have driven both myself. Both great cars each with their quirks!

Any info or views to help in my decision would be appreciated.

Alfapride

Great question! I'm looking forward to seeing replies on this I often asked myself the same question...
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Davidm1600

It is an interesting question and IMHO in the first instance I would tend to suggest both are lovely, both offer similar albeit slightly different driving experiences and depending on which model in particular, value for money.

Like yourself I too have had the pleasure of driving and/or been a passenger in a range of Fiat and Alfa Spiders over the years.   Likewise have also had the pleasure of driving and owning and driving their cousins, eg coupes and sedans.

Fundamentally the 105 spider has the same chassis and drive train of the GT/GTV and Giulia/Berlina sedans.   There are some minor differences but the characteristics are similar.  Similarly, the same is essentially true for the 124 spider, in being strongly related to the 124 sport coupe-124/125 sedans. 

Now I will fess up by saying firstly I owned Fiats before I got into Alfas, and also that I really enjoy both marques for what they offer.  Afterall, I still own my '69 AC 124 sport, my second ever car and I won't sell it.  But then again I have had the pleasure of a 1750 GTV for over 12 years, a 2L Berlina, and have had Giulia sedans for many years now. 

Ok so back to the spiders.   In my opinion you need to compare the Duetto (1600 or boatail 1750) to the early 124 spider (AS 1400 or BS 1600).  Both offer true original earlier style Italian motoring.  The interiors of both are simpler and the style of both models for many is considered more pure. Which is a better car is possibly a moot point, though I would if really pushed tend to say the Duetto, if nothing else for its charisma (the style of the design in my eyes works better with its more rounded lines), but if you could find an AS 124 spider you would be very happy.  The driving feel is essentially the same and from an engineering perspective there is relatively little difference.  But the market place definitely puts a premium on the Alfa over the Fiat, though AS spiders in top condition are rising in value.

Re the Alfa 1750 (Kamm Tail) and chrome bumper 2L Kamm tail spiders vrs the CS 1800 Fiat, personally I would choose the Alfa. But again it is from largely a style perspective (exterior and interior),  I really enjoy the driving feel more of the Alfa.  I would also suggest that the build quality of the Alfa is possibly slightly better over that of the Fiat, but that is not saying the Fiat is a poor choice.   

With the series 3 and 4 Alfa Spiders vrs the 2L Fiats (and especially some of the models we never received out here in Aus), then the difference closes in my view and especially with the Volumex 124 Spider I would suggest that the Fiat is possibly a better choice over the Alfa.  The last series 105 spiders visually in my mind were flawed with the changed grill (rubber) and aweful rear spoiler.  Let alone the modernization of the interior which to my taste doesn't work well.  But some undoubtedly like it.

Lastly there is the Fiat Arbarth 124 spider, to which Alfa never offered a competitor.  Hence, the Abarth is clearly the winner.  Its competition record in the world rally championship proved what a successful design it was. 

In my view, the best choice for $ out there currently are nice condition chrome bumper 2L spiders (somewhat undervalued) and CS 124 spiders.  The thing with the Fiat spider is that it was never imported here so all come from either the US, UK or Europe, hence LHD (unless they have been converted, which is a straight forward task).  With US spec cars, the other thing one needs to do is to de-Americanise them (eg. remove the ugly side markers and huge bumpers), lower the ride height a little, and perhaps generally change the colour of the interior to make them more appealing.  Also the US spec engine was detuned, so as a rule you are better off changing the engine to Aus spec 1800 or 2L configuration, cams, carbs etc).  All can be done but it is a lot of mucking around.

Hope that helps a little.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

squidders

Thanks David for your comprehensive insight and response it will assist me in making my mind up. 

lombardi

Ciao squidders, for whats its worth i own a 1984 spider series 3 veloce fuel injected 2 ltr, cant comment on any other spider's having not driven any but mine. Apparently Pininfarina designed spider was built on the same manufacturing plant as the Fiat spider, same assembly line alongside each other so i was told,so similar they could be. I absolutely love my spider, it's like stepping into another age,it's simplicity and beautiful temperement on the road, very lively and easy to enjoy,revs freely, the soft roof is so easy to lift and close, just clips,no fuss,body feels very sturdy and the instrumentation is of more the 105 series,the jaeger dials are classic, the quality is i believe quite high when u think of the era it was built.mine has the bosch fuel injection system similar to the other 80s alfa's ie gtv6 75 etc. This spider used to be my daily driver but i believed it needed more respect so i put her on historics and now drive a 75 twin spark as a day driver,love this one to. It's amazing really that the spider is 84 built and the 75 is 91 built but feel like decades away. Now i apreciate the car's singularly more for theyre individuality. Of course another strong point is the engine, this 2 ltr chain driven masterpiece lies in many model alfa's and the design carried over for years, a true classic. Am sure whatever u will choose,wont be disappointed.good luck in ur search.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Craig_m67

I prefer the Alfa, mind you I could be tempted [insert favourite euphemism here]

* XMOD Facebook
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)