front bumper alignment 156 correct?

Started by cc, April 10, 2015, 11:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi
A previous owner of my 156 has grounded the drivers side underside of the front bumper. It looks as if, this has bent some of the metal supports..
Could someone confirm for me please whether the rail that sits under the radiator should be dead straight and not slightly bent back to the driver please.
Also does the curve of the front bumper follow seamlessly the curve of the front wheel wing panels where the two meet. The curve of the front bumper on my 156 is not aligned but is set  back 5mm and Im wondering if the bumper is sitting back into the car now too far.
At first glance it looks fine but...

Am in the last stages of re registering the car and have been advised it would fail the roadworthy inspection if the front bumper is not securely attached at all points.
There is an attachment point on the front bumper, drivers side,  I cant attach to the lower radiator rail without a lot of effort. So it looks like a 2nd hand radiator rail may be needed.
cheers

Craig_m67

Yes, the rail that the radiator, a few pipes (power steering, aircon?) and the airbox sit in should be straight and flat. It is larger at one end (battery side) to locate the bottom of the airbox.

The wheel arch curve should match where the bumper meets the fender. There are some 6mm(?) torx screw that hold it all together and can slide a bit for adjustment.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cc

thanks. Will post some pics in a few weeks,