Parrot Asteroid Mini installed in 156

Started by krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =, March 06, 2015, 09:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

Has anyone had any experience with having a Parrot Asteroid Mini installed in a 156?

Is it even compatible?
2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

dcc236

It should be.
I added a Parrot MKI9100 to my std head unit.

Alfa156Melb1

Yeah I have a 9100 in my GTA and I loath it. It works but it uses its own internal amp which is tiny. The sound is woeful.

The charge feature is just strong enough to maintain charge, but if you run a gps app the battery will discharge. If you want to be able to charge the phone in-car, install a separate charger, don't use the Parrots integrated one.

The phone functionality is pretty good.

I'm told it can be wired different to use the headunit's amp, or an external one, but parrot support advised me that was not the case.   If that were possible, and to be honest, I don't put that much cred into Parrot Support, then it would be a pretty awesome unit.

I'd also say the internal software is still a bit flaky, it wont remember where you left off when you turn the car on, it tends to randomly pick a track on your iPhone and play it, often the worst one you have.. or at least the one you least like.. it's intuitive  :D  To get it to work plugged in, more often than not you have to unplug the phone, and plug it back in.. so in the end i only stream through bluetooth, but you have to manually select that on the parrot every time you want to stream music or podcasts... which is a pain - at least I don't get blasted with horrible songs all the time now. 

The phone call functionality is seamless, connects every time via bluetooth - no action required from you.. it just works. Best of all it will mute the radio when a call is made or received.  This part I love and credit them where it's due.

They have been promising an update for about 1.5 years now, so there's none coming.

Pity, as its integration is very good.

I take it the Asteroid is a new version, and I have heard some really good stories about parrot.. so it's worth a look but i'd first confirm:

1. Can the unit be wired via an amp or headunit? rather than bypassing and using it's own internal amp - thats a HUGE no no.
2. How often are updates being released?
3. How strong is the power supply for phone charging? Will it trickle, or actually charge the phone?
4. How stable is the current software release?

Good luck.

Harley

I'm about to order one of these:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231282527358&alt=web
but from Aliexpress, about another $100 cheaper.
I've read good things about them, lots fitted to alfas in uk/europe.
and it looks OEM  8)

EDIT: I should add that most sellers offer it with Android interface if you want full tech saviness over winCE.

Harley

Davidm1600

A what ?  Why would anyone wish to install a parrot in their car.  They belong free in the wilds or at least in a bird cage.  ;D

And as for Asteroids well as all know they exist in the solar system in outer space.

Hmn, the language that tech geeks use to describe stuff these days beggars disbelief.  I take it is something to do with mobile ph technology or the cars hifi system ?
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

I had a parrot once, but it died, discovered that after i purchased it, the feet had been nailed to the perch, i took it back, and the shop keeper said it didn't make any noise, because it was shagged out after a long squark, pity, as i had already named it Polly, the man behind the counter wouldn't refund my money, but offered to replace it with a device called a slug, but it was hardly a replacement was it?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Potsie

Col - sounds to me like that was clearly a Norwegian Blue .. beautiful plumage .. but not as good looking as an Alfa.  ;D
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

colcol

Yes it was a Norwegian Blue, but unfortunately it wouldn't sync with my blue and me and i still couldn't get my bluetooth to work despite the Norwegian Blue, but Potsie, i will have to take issue with you here, the Plumage doesn't enter in to it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bazzbazz

Remember what your mother always told you two about drugs . . . "Always share".

;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au