JUST HAD A SCAMMER REPLY TO MY ADD - BEWARE !!!

Started by 75TS, June 05, 2015, 08:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

75TS

Scammer Alert!

Just got an email in response to my wanted add from tim.copelandd@gmail.com stating he had a good experience from a UK seller with an email of webbryan44@gmail.com.

Luckily I googled the email address and found a post on another site warning of this scammer.

Evan Bottcher

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, and thanks to ALFAAA informed me of another scam attempt - I've removed the fake account associated with that email address, although that won't prevent scammers if you've published your email address in a post.  Unfortunately this is very hard to prevent from my side, so please be vigilant.  Please email me if anyone tries something similar again (webmaster@alfaclubvic.org.au).

ALFAAA shared the follow up email from the scammer, which is interesting:

Quotethanks for the email. Yes i have a set of four, 16 X 7 1/2 inch
Borbet wheels for an Alfetta GTV6. I do not have images but condition
is excellent. Free from curb rash. I am asking a 320GBP and price
includes postage. I will be shipping via UPS or FedEx which ever you
prefer and will take payment via Money gram. Whats your shipping
address?

Obviously if dealing with someone unknown overseas you're at risk - don't share bank details, don't send money via moneygram or western union, and be suspicious of a lack of photos or details.  Google for the email addresses being used, and see if other people have identified the person as a scammer.  Paypal stings you with fees, but it at least provides a level of protection in the event of fraud (as long as you act within the time limit).

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal