No oil

Started by Annabella, June 08, 2015, 11:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annabella

Hi everyone,

I own a 2004 Alfa romeo 156 sillyspeed.

I have checked the engine oil and their isnt a drop. No leaking.

Can anyone recommend how often you check the oil and how often i should be topping up?

Also what oil is recommended? Does the 156 burn through oil quicker?

Thank you.

Cool Jesus

Annabelle, no Alfa should be using that much oil without leaving a cloud of smoke behind it. Try and keep this topic together with your low oil topic
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14520.0.html
Otherwise you'll only get responses to information on the thread. Definitely don't drive without oil on the dipstick. I think you said your dad has some knowledge? I'd either empty the sump and refill with new oil, or top up with a litre at a time to avoid an overfill.
Either way oil consumption shouldn't be an issue for you. How many kms has the engine done?
You should at least notice leakage or major smoke for no oil, was there anything on the dipstick?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Check the oil once a week and top up as needed, if it is halfway down, thats half a litre below full, then top it up, so you don't temp fate.
A problem with direct injection is that it is high pressure fuel injection and some of the fuel can end up in the oil sump as dilution and this is terrible for lubrication, one of the first things to fail are the camshafts, and then the car will lack power.
With all the dilution in the sump, when you take it on a good drive and burn out all the contaminates in the lubrication system, the oil level seems to drop massively, but its that all the fuel and contaminates have been burnt out, thats why you check the oil level every week or after a long drive.
When the JTS came out in 2002, the oil recomended was 10-40, but with the high oil consumption issues, the oil was up specked to 10-60.
Use whatever brand of oil you like, just keep it topped up with the correct viscosity thats fully synthetic, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]