Should I replace engine mount

Started by GTVeloce, June 24, 2015, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Quick question: The first thing I tried when taking the head off was to yank on it with a block and tackle. It didn't work and it started to make one of the engine mounts pull apart. Just a small gap (1-2mm) was appearing between the rubber and the upper metal plate. The mount otherwise appears to be in very good shape. So, I'm wondering whether I should replace it/both of them) or just ignore it.

Thoughts? Sorry I didn't take a photo at the time and now the head is off it's too late.

Barry Edmunds

Don't ignore it. A loose or broken engine mount can lead to vibration related issues. You may be able to repair, as in weld, the metal engine mount but the easiest solution is to replace the mount.Barry

Mick A

I would say it is really up to you, if the mount hasn't sagged then it's probably OK to leave but if it is deformed and you find it hard to start the nut on the thread of the bottom stud due to the rubber being bulged and in the way then I would say definitely replace.

-Mick.

Craig_m67

I prefer the preventative maintenance approach.

You already know it's substandard.
You have the engine disassembled so access is easiest now
It's going to fail/sag/etc at some stage and you will have to remove most stuff again to get at them.

Replace them both now before you curse yourself in five years time with scrapped knuckles trying to remove the carbs etal...

Of course this approach is also know as scope creep or "while your in their" and why my Duetto is still on the rotisserie in a squillion pieces, so feel free to disregard :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GTVeloce

Ha ha, I know what you mean Craig. I already have that happening even though I am trying to limit it. There was a small leak of PS fluid from the hose where it meets the reservoir so a new hose. Then I decided to change the brake reservoir mounting rubbers as one was weeping and then clean up the paint underneath that area. That has grown into painting that whole side of the engine bay! Since I have done that it seems silly not to replace the two remaining PS hoses I have never replaced before they give up.

I have been good so far and limited engine work to a new timing chain and cleaning up the head.

Hm, I will have a better look at both mounts before I decide. It's actually not too hard to access both mounts later as it's just the exhaust manifold on one side and remove the plenum on the other. Having done that a few times now it's not too bad. That said, definitely much easier right now...