156 - Airbag light and next service

Started by Annabella, July 08, 2015, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annabella

hi everyone :) :)

1) I haven't been in a crash, nor has my car been hit but their appears to be a airbag light which has come on and wont go away. Any advice on what I should do?  A mechanical wants to charge me $55.00 to diagnose it to restart the factory settings but im not sure whether it would make the light disappear.. anyone experienced this?

2) My car has done 97,000kms and I am unsure whether the next service would be a major or minor?The book doesn't tell me what needs to be done. Any ideas? My uncle used to be a mechanical so he can do my service for me but I am unsure what needs changing.  I own a 04 156 sillyspeed.

Appreciate your help :)

Neil Choi

There will be many experienced people on here, professional and amateur, on this, they will comment in due course.   
The airbag light can be reset with the computer but can be set off again unless the problem is located.  A couple of possible causes amongst others, usually the connector underneath the front seat was disturbed on start up, you will need to secure the connector to the seat, cable tie.  At start up, don't move the seat.   Also there is another connector underneath the carpet in the right hand side of the boot which seems to cause the light to go off.  You need to secure that too, I used race tape.
An Alfa mechanic will plug the computer in and get the codes and tell you where the fault lies.  Whereabout are you, north, go to Bruno (Maranello, Brunswick), South, go to Hugh (Monza, Bayswater), somewhere in between there is Seby at Mauceri Clayton, or Alfaman, Domenic and brother.  Etc etc.
If club member, they will help you nicely.  Well they will help nicely regardless, it is an Alfa.
Regardless you will need to bring the car to the Alfa mechanic or someone with an analyser to clear codes.

Craig_m67

Check everything Neil has suggested, it's likely to be the last thing that was disturbed under the seat (vacuum?).

If you have the facelift interior the ECU may clear the warning lamp after five successful restarts without the error (it did in mine).
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

My 02 JTS was set off by the same pothole in Punt road, twice, 12 month's apart, fault was cleared by Alfa Romeo club sponsor, didn't experiment on car, knew exactly what it was, as Alfa Romeo's are the cars they know and work on all the time.
They can be also set off by a voltage spike, when the alternator tries to put out too much juice for a run down battery, you could also try Il Bolide Rosso High st Thornbury, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Quote from: Annabella on July 08, 2015, 10:01:37 AM
hi everyone :) :)

1) I haven't been in a crash, nor has my car been hit but their appears to be a airbag light which has come on and wont go away. Any advice on what I should do?  A mechanical wants to charge me $55.00 to diagnose it to restart the factory settings but im not sure whether it would make the light disappear.. anyone experienced this?

2) My car has done 97,000kms and I am unsure whether the next service would be a major or minor?The book doesn't tell me what needs to be done. Any ideas? My uncle used to be a mechanical so he can do my service for me but I am unsure what needs changing.  I own a 04 156 sillyspeed.

Appreciate your help :)

Hi Annabella,

The 100,000km service will require a new set of spark plugs on top of the normal service items, so expect an extra $100 or so on top of the normal cost. I'm guessing as it's an 04 car it is a JTS so if that is the case it requires 4x NGK BKR6EKPA plugs. These last 100,000km. I think you will also be due for a pollen filter (cabin filter) change and air filter change.

Cheers.

Alfaglo

Hi Alfa cult,

Can anyone tell categorically if the airbag light can only be suspended by entering the program module,
i have read it CANNOT be done pre 2004 but automatically does it on later models,

regards Alfaglo

Vittorio

Had the same problem with my 2004 156 JTS.
Auto electrician located a loose connector in the boot.
There is a small plastic cover on the right hand side. Undo the screw and you will find the connector.
Hope this helps