Gear Issues JTS

Started by dc_cudi, July 12, 2015, 06:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc_cudi

hey,

Just replaced my master cylinder but still having a few issues with the gears. It drives extremely well 95% of the time but sometimes the clutch will be the whole way in but the gears just won't go in, I really have to force them with all my strength for it to go in to gear and then 5 minutes later it'll be fine again. Any ideas what this could be? Slave cyclinder?

Thanks

Mick A

If you pump the pedal hard a few times does it go into gear once that's done?

Also - I wouldn't be forcing it too hard, you'll either break the gear linkages at the end of the cables or you'll break the plastic housing the gear lever sits in.

Actually, I wouldn't force it at all, I would get it to your mechanic before you damage it, as it sounds like you show very little mechanical sympathy to your car by what you've described you are doing.

-mick.

dc_cudi

i was just using it as an analogy so you can get an idea of how hard it is.  yes i pump the clutch and it seems to go in, seems like there may still be air in the system or the clutch needs to be bled again.

Mick A

Yep definitely sounds like air still in the system.

I usually leave them to gravity bleed for a few minutes and they are generally ok. I also find that the reservoirs on 156's tend to warp from the heat in the engine bay and they lean forward a bit sometimes and as the clutch partition is at the rear of the reservoir sometimes you just get air instead of fluid. I usually loosen the 10mm bolts and hold the reservoir up at the front and you should hear it gargle down the fluid if this is the case.

Cheers

Mick.