TS Timing Chain master link question

Started by GTVeloce, August 12, 2015, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Quick question. I am just finishing putting a 75 TS engine back together and have connected a new timing chain. The master link, washer and cir clip are on, however, i can move the washer forwards and backwards on the pins of the master link. Is this normal or should it be tight?

Neil Choi

Julian,
I am pretty sure you have or know it, there is also a "washer/link" between the two chain row.  ie the master link goes through one chain row, then a washer/link, then the second chain row, then another washer then secured by the circlip.
Does this help?
Neil

GTVeloce

Thanks Neil. Yes, I have that spacer/middle link in there as you described. I will try and take a photo tomorrow to show you what I'm describing.

Also, does the direction of the long cir clip matter? I'm assuming it shouldn't as there should be vey little strain on the cir clip. It should only be there to stop the master link sliding out.

festy

Quote from: GTVeloce on August 13, 2015, 02:17:11 PM
Also, does the direction of the long cir clip matter? I'm assuming it shouldn't as there should be vey little strain on the cir clip. It should only be there to stop the master link sliding out.
Not sure whether it makes any practical difference or not, but I've always put the closed end facing the direction of travel so it won't get flicked off if something rubs against the chain.
I've seen a few heads with grooves worn from loose timing chains, so I guess it could be possible for a clip to come off in that circumstance.

tuf105

A snippet from the work shop manual tends to support Festy's comment...

Beatle

You should ALWAYS install that type of chain link with the open end away from the direction of travel.  Even on your pushbike chain.   I never thought anyone would ever consider the alternative  ???
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd