2002 Spider - Blackline Edition

Started by jim501, September 08, 2015, 09:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim501

So as you can assume I did the deal on the Spider I was asking questions about a few weeks ago. Nutted out the concerns that come up in the report. It's not 100% but all the major things are taken care of, belts replaced in June, new tires, new rear screen. As you will see in the photo, I've already made a few cosmetic changes removing all the decals (I nearly kept the red flag decal after removing the DJ Tiesto stickers....) and added badges (there was an xtreme bade on the back and TI badges above the door handles....). The car looks a lot better now, I've kept an addition Spider badge on the bonnet which I kinda like, and will give the grill mesh a respray at some point as it's faded a bit.

As discussed in the other thread, this car is labelled as a Blackline Edition, and there is no record anywhere (on the net) of this edition. My guess, putting a few things together, is that as this car came at the very end of the Phase 2 lifecycle it was a bit hard to move, so mid 2003 when it was still sitting on Rick Damelian's lot they decided to change a few things and market it as a limited edition to move it. So the car was first sold late 2003 when Phase 3 was well underway. The car has a manual roof (which was a preference of mine) but comes with climate control, remote locking and a leather interior which was done by Blackman's and Sons in Sydney.

So have a few things I need to fix up. One is a squealing front left brake (pad's a relatively new so think they might be glazed). Also the gear knob was loose and tonight let go pretty much completely so can spin around now (it's a leather knob with red stitching so will be nice to keep). The bluetooth stereo is missing the microphone so will fish that out and the door speaker cover is loose.

Also I'm looking into putting a child selt restraint in for emergencies. Has anyone ever done that before or have it on their car. Bit confusing that you can deactivate the passenger airbag (which you'd only do for a child) but there isn't an anchor point already.

poohbah

Nice work Jim, she looks sweet as a nut now those nasty stickers are gone. And sounds like you have found a good 'un.

Re, the child restraint, I'm not sure it is legal to fit a child seat in the front of any passenger vehicle in Oz, so that could be a problem. I may be completely wrong of course, though I know its illegal in WA.

I believe turning off the airbag is to reduce the risk to kids that are big enough to sit in the standard seat, rather than infants/toddlers needing a capsule.

How old is the nipper you think might be a passenger? If they are +5, you can get a booster that sits on the existing cushion and clips in with existing belt. Not perfect, but better than the alternative (of nothing) - for emergency use.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

jim501

Cheers. Found the gear knob is just a couple of loose grub screws so easy fix.

In QLD,  children are able to seat in the front seat if there is only 1 row of seats. Kid will be in a forward facing seat so isn't a problem, but as mentioned it is more just an emergency option.

Cool Jesus

The air bag switch I thought was to deactivate it if your nit travelling with a passanger, hence saving yourself an unnecessary airbag replacement if activated. Check local road rules, child restraint fitter will be your best bet to see if it's possible and/or legal.

Jim, looks like you bagged a nice one too. Soooo much better without the decals.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bazzbazz

Hey Jesus, did you sort your roof problem?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Cool Jesus

Not yet Baz. Looking for some free time to properly diagnose the faulty bit as you pointed out. Just rewired it, as a work around, which has worked for now.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

jim501

So spoke with QLD Transport and they put me in touch with a coach builder who is certified to put the anchor in. Going to be just over $200, the majority if which is the engineers certificate.

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)