Rough idling

Started by BazzaGTV, September 21, 2015, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BazzaGTV

Hi when I start my car it idles nicely for 10 sec then revs drop and idles roughly. When I give it gas there is no response and sputters then cuts out .If I don't give it gas it continues to idle roughly with a funny knock coming from engine can some one help

BazzaGTV

Quote from: BazzaGTV on September 21, 2015, 01:09:37 PM
Hi when I start my car it idles nicely for 10 sec then revs drop and idles roughly. When I give it gas there is no response and sputters then cuts out .If I don't give it gas it continues to idle roughly with a funny knock coming from engine can some one help
the car is a alfa romeo gtv 2.0 16v Tspark 2001 phase 2 916 series

Cool Jesus

Bazza, you really are having all sorts with this little Alfa  :o
I've had a flick through your woes in recent posts, what's the service history likle on this one? In particular when were the timing belts last changed?
The knocking doesn't sound good to me, but coupled with rough idle you are obviousely having some timing issues here and the knock sound may be pre-ignition.
You earlier asked about the diagnostic plug, do you have an OBD reader? What DTCs are being detected? There's a lot of variables and plenty of clarification questions I could ask, but don't want to bog down the post for you.

Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

BazzaGTV

Hi buddy you see I recently bought this car with no key as a project so I purchases a ignition and key lock system on eBay the first problem I had was that they sent me faulty ignition barrel(damaged gears) I soon changed with my old one know she starts. The problem I have now is it starts code key light goes out and injection light goes out . She runs nice for 10secs then idles roughly,revs drop low and if I give it gas she does not rev and then conks out.As for the obd diagnostic software I purchased obd key kl line 490 and fiat muliecuscan but when I put the usb plug into my computer it would not install

Cool Jesus

Ah I see, gluten for punishment then  ::)
I'd start by getting the MES disgnostics up and working. What do you mean by 'kl line 490'?

It does sound like the ECU is going into limp mode (aka timing issue), so its picking up a fault somewhere that may cause damage to the engine and is purpsoely miss timing to avoid damage. MES will take a lot of the trial and error out of our guess work diagnostics  :)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mick A

Airflow meter is my guess.

Mick A

Quote from: Cool Jesus on September 22, 2015, 06:53:39 AM

It does sound like the ECU is going into limp mode (aka timing issue), so its picking up a fault somewhere that may cause damage to the engine and is purpsoely miss timing to avoid damage.

I highly doubt it is a timing issue, since it apparently runs fine for 10 seconds before things turn to shit.

Neil Choi

Quote from: Cool Jesus on September 22, 2015, 06:53:39 AM
Ah I see, gluten for punishment then  ::)

Well, there is your problem, it is coeliac.

BazzaGTV

Hi all thank you so much with your feedback but the prize goes to air flow meter .found a faulty sensor

BazzaGTV

Quote from: BazzaGTV on September 22, 2015, 10:55:42 AM
Hi all thank you so much with your feedback but the prize goes to air flow meter .found a faulty sensor
so thank you chowder boy . By the way where is the fuel filter for gtv 16v Tspark phase 2 located