More Ormiston House Qld concours

Started by cc, September 28, 2015, 12:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Had a look under the front wheel at the suspension. The spring height is 1/2? of a 156 and the geometry reminded me of my nephews MGA geometry. The coffee cup rim in the bottom of the pic is a feeble attempt at scale. O house has a cafe attached and after paying my $3 the chap who took my money after being assisted with parking his hat on a nail quipped a mug for a mug!
Waitress Julie allowed me to wander around with the gold rimmed receptacle but sprung an ambush out amongst the cars to re claim possession.
Didnt get the teaspoon! Was forgotten in the back pocket. Not as good as Ansett or qantas tho!
This thread started in the qld division area of the forum.

cc

A GuilaSprint GT Veloce.
Another old master, untouched by the masters apprentices? The paint on the boot was a different shade to the body. Which is similar to the 156's Dupont metallic Proteo Red which is best on the C pillar, with the clear coat a little less smooth and the colour slightly faded on the boot.

cc

A 6C? A long 2 door vehicle. Like todays Spiders the doors are long too.
Interesting horn button and dash. Twin large dials copied by Jaguar?

cc

A 1934 Fiat spider.

cc

Best in show.

cc

The Fulvia was another example of italian engineering art. The 2nd pic is the glass bowled fuel filter. The owner has put an extra filter in line. The first pic is top of the engine, Having read about the V4 and observed lots of flat 4's. It was a puzzle to work out how Lancia did it. The diagonal off set of the spark plugs was the clue to the single v wide engine block. Finished in a beautiful black crackle surface. The angle between the bores is between 10 or 20 degrees and the engine is laid over at 45 degrees. The engine sits in a cast? sub frame.

The last pic came after one of the organisers kindly allowed the 156 onto the grass. So next to the water with a 2600 and a 105 the 932 was an interesting juxtaposition. A 166 would have been interesting next to the 2600 also.

Sadly their were no Alfasuds or Berlinas, 166's or 1980's Guiletta, Alfetta sedans or 75's. There was a 33? 4*4.
All up about 50 cars; 2/3 Alfa and 1/3 Fiats and Lancias. With spiders and 105's most numerous.

The venue was wonderfully chosen, the organisers had the cars centre of attention on the grass sloping down to the bay with an early colonial house behind. The meet was wrapped up mid afternoon. With a storm coming up from the south. Hope there was no hail.

poohbah

Nice stuff CC. Damn, the last pic of your V6 just reminds me how much I miss my 156 2.5L (sadly cremated in May) - even though I love the '81 GTV I replaced her with.

Make sure you check regularly for any potential leaks from your fuel injection setup - you don't want to lose her to an engine fire like I did.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

cc

thanks poohbah. As yet haven't disassembled any of the fuel circuit. The pump and filter arent too old; replaced by the previous owner.
Have a whimsical notion to gold plate the fuel rail. My nephew asked if that was to keep it cooler. The reasons are probably rooted in our car culture: The influence of my brother chrome plating the rocker cover, oil breather and side plate! on his FE holden special! 40 years ago! Probably wont do it. Where do you stop when you go the lair!
The very understated gold coloured metal beading around the 156's bonnet badge is as lairy as De Silva went.
Interesting how little chrome was used in styling the car. When it was used on the door handle  its on a beautiful little retro sculpture. Have got a slow leak from the power steering pipe where it goes to the cooling coil in the right front guard. At the join or a very fine fracture. Dang it. The low nose again. Another trip to the wreckers..

poohbah

Yep, another pain with the ultra low nose (is yours lowered like mine was?) was that I couldn't even get wheel ramps under it.

I reckon the chromework on the V6 engine makes it absolutely gorgeous - and really sets it apart from every other non-italian brand. Would love to see it all in gold! It would probably have shades of a Milanese bordello (at least what I imagine one looks like)!

1981 GTV

cc

The monza spec had shorter eibach spring heights on the front (dont know if this was standard as there was only the drivers side front still in place). I havent measured it tho. It doesnt appear that any of the previous owners have altered it. The rear springs need replacing as with 5 big people in the car, the rear tyres when hitting a bump, rub on the plastic liner in the wheel wells.. Another thing on the to do list; replace springs and shocks. The rear suspension is not heavily engineered like a Peugeot 504 and is probably designed/optimised  for conveying the girls of Turin and not too much of their luggage.

poohbah

Indeed. Mine had rubbed a hole on the inside liner of front wheel wells - she was dropped at least 3cm. Never carried anyone but kids in the back, so never had any issues with hitting  bump-stops. But I did have to replace the front suspension arms. Made a huge difference to handling and ride.
            1981 GTV