It never ends

Started by giovannidc, September 29, 2015, 03:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giovannidc

So eventually i got the head redone on my 147, also done the timing belt, water pump and little things while we were there.
As i drove home after i picked it up something pops and now i get this occasional but annoying rattle when i engage the clutch quickly, or turn on or off the car. Noise seems to be coming from the engine bay, driver side.
After a bit of research and trial and error to isolate the problem and recreate it i think it might be the engine supports.
Any ideas?
Going back to the mechanic tomorrow anyway, so pissed off about all this.

colcol

A rattle may be a bracket or a heat shield.
A worn engine and gearbox mount is usually a clunk when letting the clutch and braking, as the engine gearbox moves too far due to excessive movement in mounts.
Could be the exhaust is hitting something, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

giovannidc

Went in today and it is a bolt that is missing where the hoses line is held in place near the right front wheel.
The hole needs to be tapped, will go back soon.
Glad it's nothing major.

colcol

Don't let it go for too long, those brake lines can rub thru and then you have brake fluid everywhere, not to mention substandard brakes, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]